Singer 401/A

Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM

RE: 401A -- where is the serial number on the Singer 401A?
Also: where is the serial number on the Singer Athena 2000?
THANKS!!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 PM

I can't tell you where it is on the Athena, but the 401A serial number is on the underside of the machine, near the needleplate. Should be two letters, followed by six numbers.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Charlee;4846807]I can't tell you where it is on the Athena, but the 401A serial number is on the underside of the machine, near the needleplate. Should be two letters, followed by six numbers. [/QUOTE

Thank you! I don't seem to be able to get the bottom plate off the 401A but will try asking the Singer repair guy tomorrow before I try forcing it. Happy new year, Charlee. I always enjoy your informative postings.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM

"...the 401A serial number is on the underside of the machine, near the needleplate. Should be two letters, followed by six numbers." (quoted from Charlee's posting)

Could the 2 letters & 6 numbers be "behind" the needle plate edge on the back, on the very top of where the bottom casing adjoins the machine? (had to kind of pull the edge of the casing forward a little to see them.)
I can see "NA579742" embossed there. Just wondering it that's it or whether I need to remove the bottom casing completely to see if there's another such designation, because the Singer site shows only that serial numbers starting in NA as 1951 manufacture year. The manual with the 401A is copyrighted 1957, so wondering if 1951 could be right?

Last edited by postal packin' mama; 01-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama View Post
"...the 401A serial number is on the underside of the machine, near the needleplate. Should be two letters, followed by six numbers." (quoted from Charlee's posting)

Could the 2 letters & 6 numbers be "behind" the needle plate edge on the back, on the very top of where the bottom casing adjoins the machine? (had to kind of pull the edge of the casing forward a little to see them.)
I can see "NA579742" embossed there. Just wondering it that's it or whether I need to remove the bottom casing completely to see if there's another such designation, because the Singer site shows only that serial numbers starting in NA as 1951 manufacture year. The manual with the 401A is copyrighted 1957, so wondering if 1951 could be right?
That's your serial number. Keep in mind tho, that Singer's records for these machines are warped! While the Singer website will tell you 1951, the machines weren't actually produced until 1957 and 1958.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
That's your serial number. Keep in mind tho, that Singer's records for these machines are warped! While the Singer website will tell you 1951, the machines weren't actually produced until 1957 and 1958.
Wow, Charlee - your knowledge on the old babies is amazing. Thanks! I'm relieved to know I don't have to dismantle the lower casing to look further for the serial number.

How did you know that, besides your extensive experience? Is there another source for such information?
There has been a posting lately about getting a certificate sent to you from Singer showing your machine's 'birth' year, so it'll be interesting to see what designation they give my 401A.
Thank you! I appreciate your helpfulness.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM

I know this is a very old thread, but do you still have all those precious blond Singer #430 "Profile" 3-Way Sewing Desks in your garage, or know of any that are for sale for I would surely love to get my hands on one !!!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by pheasantduster View Post
This may be a repeat on other topic page, but when I was in high school my Mother's Featherweight need to have the bobbin case repaired. At that time the singer company would leave a machine for your use while your machine was being repaired. The rep left a Singer Slant-O-Matic 401A and I would come home from school every day and sew on it. When Featherweight returned I came home to see the two machines sitting there in our dining room. My mother and father purchased the 401A for me! It was my Christmas present, Birthday present and Graduation from High School present. It has been with me all these years through every sewing task asked of it. My daughter has the Freatherweight now.
Such a lovely story, especially that your daughter is interested in sewing - and that she has the FW now! It's quite special when any of the younger generations are bitten by the sewing bug! ❤️