singer 401 A question

Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 PM

nursie Thank you for the information. I did get the stitch regulator knobs to turn by pulling out or pushing in. I was excited!! Which cam/s do you use most? Is there one you just leave in your machine all the time? I have cams 1 and 3
Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by CarolLady
nursie Thank you for the information. I did get the stitch regulator knobs to turn by pulling out or pushing in. I was excited!! Which cam/s do you use most? Is there one you just leave in your machine all the time? I have cams 1 and 3
Thanks
You are welcome, I will let DH know that you say thanks. To be honest with you, I never changed the cams or tried any of the fancy stitches which require the cam. I used the ones that you got with the letters L through R on the selector knobs. When you put the selector to Special is when you start adding cams. The machine originally came with 5 cams. My manual explains it all, hopefully the one from the 531 will also.
Let me know if I you have any more questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability. It has been years since I used either of my 401A's.

Of, don't forget to make sure you have the right foot when you start doing the zigzag type stitches, don't remember what it came with, but you don't want to break a needle. Ask me how I know :roll:
Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the information that is good to know that you can get the different stitches without all the cams.
The zig zag plate is on the machine and it has the wider foot for the zig zag stitching on the machine.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 02:17 PM

That is correct as per the manual.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:27 PM

A question about the foot cord. If I purchase a foot controller will it still work if I sit it up in the space provided to use with the knee thingamajig, instead of having it on the floor?
Just curious and want to make sure it will work both ways before I purchase something.
Thanks
Carol
Old 05-29-2010, 05:22 PM

A question about the foot cord. If I purchase a foot controller will it still work if I sit it up in the space provided to use with the knee thingamajig, instead of having it on the floor?
Just curious and want to make sure it will work both ways before I purchase something.
Thanks
Carol
If you get the foot controller that is made for that machine you should have no problem. It is meant to fit up in a bracket where the knee lever presses on the button type thing on the foot lever. I never ever sewed with a foot pedal until I got my first FW. In fact I still find myself pressing on my knee lever that lifts my presser foot on my Bernina and wondering why the machine isn't going... :oops:
Old 05-29-2010, 05:54 PM

On the foot pedals I am coming across they are not showing the button that the one I have has. But they say they are for the 401 model.
I was wondering what you sewed with now when you mentioned you hadn't used your 401's in a while.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 PM

Bernina usually and sometimes my Brother CE4000 when the Bernina is embroidering...sometimes my FW.

If the foot pedals you are looking at have a lever type foot pedal, I would think that perhaps the pusher mechanism on the knee lever would depress that effectively to activate the machine to go.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Quite the variety!
thanks ..
Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Quite the variety!
thanks ..
My DH doesn't quilt, but does take an active interest in what I do and has started collecting sewing machines. We also have a child sized Singer that is just like one I had as a child, an 1960ish Nechhi, and I just got a Juki on a frame. I think my MIL's White is around somewhere, and an old Kenmore also. The Necchi runs, but haven't tried out the White and the Kenmore.