Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer 403A stopped working between use >
  • Singer 403A stopped working between use

• Singer 403A stopped working between use

Old 01-01-2022, 05:11 PM

Default Singer 403A stopped working between use

I recently began using my grandmother’s Singer 403A to hem my sons jeans. All was fine using the machine on multiple occasions (across several days and removing power between each) just sitting on my dining room table. After finishing these I decided to remount it in its’ table to do my curtains. However after remounting the machine it seems like there is no power (yes it is plugged in to a functioning outlet). The only things that have occurred are tilting the machine to mount it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Old 01-02-2022, 07:38 AM

Could be a break in the cord, just where it goes into the foot pedal or into the machine. You can tell if it has a break by pushing the pedal down, then wiggling the cord at both ends. If the machine powers up sporadically, there's a break in the cord. Sometimes, the cord can be shortened and re-wired at the foot pedal end, to fix the problem.

Could also be the motor brushes have worn out, or got jiggled out of place with the move. The motor brushes are under caps on the motor that unscrew. Pull a motor brush out and see if they both need to be replaced.
    Old 01-02-2022, 01:50 PM

My 401A has two cords -- one for power and one for the foot pedal. Did you check to make sure that both are securely plugged in? Since the plug for the foot pedal is beneath the tabletop, I am thinking it got loose when you put it in the table.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out.