Singer 500 machine

Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Singer 500 machine

my 500 singer sewing machine sews nice about 2-7 inches and then the top thread breaks. It almost like it is cut.. I just took out the bobbin and checked the hook and it is very sharp. Has anyone else had a problem like this that they found an answer for? I am wondering if the hook needs to be filed to less sharpness.

Last edited by AlaskaAlice; 08-31-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:18 PM

If the 500 has been sewing well, and this is a new problem, I would look elsewhere for the answer. Is the thread old? Pull the spool and do a complete rethreading. Check the upper tension setting, and look to see if the thread is between the right discs. Is the needle inserted with the flat side facing the correct direction? Is it the same needle as before, or is this a new needle? Sometimes needles (eyes) are missed in finishing.

There may be some other possible causes, and others will chime in. Let us know what you discover, please.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:59 AM

I've not had that problem, but I think filing the hook is asking for problems that can't be fixed. It might mess up the timing.

Being Labor Day weekend, we may not get a lot of good input until after the weekend. After what WIChix mentioned, my thought would be cleaning the bobbin area very well. I had some problems with thread knots that ended up with the machine locked up, and were resolved with cleaning.

I followed this youtube video. The 401 is basically the same as your 500. It doesn't cost much and doesn't take long and it might resolve your issue.

bkay
Old 09-01-2019, 06:27 PM

In addition to
Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
If the 500 has been sewing well, and this is a new problem, I would look elsewhere for the answer. Is the thread old? Pull the spool and do a complete rethreading. Check the upper tension setting, and look to see if the thread is between the right discs. Is the needle inserted with the flat side facing the correct direction? Is it the same needle as before, or is this a new needle? Sometimes needles (eyes) are missed in finishing....
and
Originally Posted by bkay View Post
... but I think filing the hook is asking for problems that can't be fixed. It might mess up the timing.
...my thought would be cleaning the bobbin area very well. I had some problems with thread knots that ended up with the machine locked up, and were resolved with cleaning.
I followed this youtube video. The 401 is basically the same as your 500. It doesn't cost much and doesn't take long and it might resolve your issue.
bkay
Are you holding the thread behind when you start sewing? Another way to start is to pull threads behind foot, place fabric under foot, hold end of threads with one hand (left) and rotate hand wheel to lower the needle into the fabric with your right hand, with needle in the fabric, lower presser foot and begin sewing.

On page 14 of http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf It gives some causes of breaking the upper thread. However, number 8 wouldn't apply if you start with needle in the fabric.

Another possibility is that that the thread is getting caught on something, like the notch on the spool of thread. There also could be burrs or dirt in the thread path. Is the needle plate smooth or has it been nicked? Is the tension assembly clean?

Hopefully something will help. Slant needle machines are nice to sew on.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-01-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 09-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Thanks, Janey. I saved that one. Anything Bill Holman wrote is worth saving.

bkay