Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Singer 503

Well, I am wondering if I made a mistake for not buying a Singer 503 in cabinet this morning. Saw it at the thrift store and it had a couple of cams with it. Looked in very good shape. May go back later and get it. I usually can't decide while I am looking at it. Come home and think well, I'll go back, if it is still there I was ment to have it . If it is gone then I didn't really have room for it anyway...Oh by the way, Price: $12.95.

Blog Entries
    I kept the one I purchased in HS, because it will sew anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I kept the one I purchased in HS, because it will sew anything...
    I know they work great. But I have so many now I can't make up my mind. I guess I think I need one of each model. I have to stop from buying these.

I have a 503. I bought 47 years ago and it is still running like the day I bought.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Featherweight, I really know what you mean. When you see a bargain like that it's so hard to pass up!!
    By the way I LOOOVE your bargello!!
    I'm staying away from stores for awhile b/c I'm getting too many machines myself :D

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Featherweight, I really know what you mean. When you see a bargain like that it's so hard to pass up!!
    By the way I LOOOVE your bargello!!
    I'm staying away from stores for awhile b/c I'm getting too many machines myself :D
    Thank You Susan, It is called the Long and Winding Road.

Blog Entries
    I would go back and get it. I am a weak woman. This is why I have 13 sewing machines! :D :D

I love my 503!!

Nuf said, you need to get it, especially for that price!

Quote Originally Posted by maryel
    OK you twisted my arm. I will be there first thing in the morning. If it were ment to be I will bring it home. If it is gone, it wasn't ment to be.. I hope it is still there. HEHE. I'll let you know in the morning, if it doesn't snow to hard...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    I would go back and get it. I am a weak woman. This is why I have 13 sewing machines! :D :D
    I counted tonite and just the machines in my studio that are mine add up to 19. Toss in the customers machines and it is well over 30, and I wonder why I can get any quilting done. :roll:

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by maryel
    OK you twisted my arm. I will be there first thing in the morning. If it were ment to be I will bring it home. If it is gone, it wasn't ment to be.. I hope it is still there. HEHE. I'll let you know in the morning, if it doesn't snow to hard...
    Go get it that is a great machine to own, I have a 500A in my sunroom next to me and even though I never use it I know it will hang with anything out there on the market today!!

Billy

Well, I am wondering if I made a mistake for not buying a Singer 503 in cabinet this morning. Saw it at the thrift store and it had a couple of cams with it. Looked in very good shape. May go back later and get it. I usually can't decide while I am looking at it. Come home and think well, I'll go back, if it is still there I was ment to have it . If it is gone then I didn't really have room for it anyway...Oh by the way, Price: $12.95.
    check if the door hinge has been glued, etc. these break really easy & very expensive to replace. (usually buy another donor machine) they are great machines & that is a price to jump on. can't remember if you have to have cams to do the stitches. maybe is the 500 that does not need cams. you can get extra cams on eBay. be sure the bobbin case is with it also.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty
    check if the door hinge has been glued, etc. these break really easy & very expensive to replace. (usually buy another donor machine) they are great machines & that is a price to jump on. can't remember if you have to have cams to do the stitches. maybe is the 500 that does not need cams. you can get extra cams on eBay. be sure the bobbin case is with it also.
    Yes, I checked and there is about 4 cams and the one that is in the machine. I am sure it will be gone beings I want it now. And the lid is on. There is no scratches on this machine either. Wish me luck...

I wish you LUCK!! I hope it's there in the morning. Let us know!

Couldn't wait until morning. Went back and "Rocky" was still there waiting for me to load him up and bring him home. Will post pictures after I get him all spiffed up.

I am so happy you went back and he was still there. I can't wait to see him.

He really doesn't even need to be spiffed up, but I like to make them shine. I'll have his picture for you tomorrow.

will be looking forward to his picture:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by KatFish
    I counted tonite and just the machines in my studio that are mine add up to 19. Toss in the customers machines and it is well over 30, and I wonder why I can get any quilting done. :roll:

Billy
    When I saw "19" I thought WHOA!!! Then I saw who it was....not surprised!! LOL! I have 7 and only one doesn't work...I just am in the middle of a beautiful quilt with my granddaughter so haven't taken the time to work on it. I will... and let me say.....I paid lots of cash for my Janome and my little princess (Featherweight) is by far my favorite to sew on! And an old WWII Grand Rotary is a grand old machine and it purrs where the Janome growls. They just don't make them like they used to. Sad.

You can't go wrong for the price. These older machine have beautiful stitches & are all metal, you will never wear it out.

Quote Originally Posted by katlady
    You can't go wrong for the price. These older machine have beautiful stitches & are all metal, you will never wear it out.
    Yes, I know about how well the sew. This makes my 9th antique Singer. 4 Featherweights, 2-301's, 99K, 185 J, and now this 503. I have got to STOP this, I have no idea where this one is going to be set up...

I have a 500 but have not started using it yet. the rpice it right! I paid $25 for my machine and it had no cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by katlady
    Yes, I know about how well the sew. This makes my 9th antique Singer. 4 Featherweights, 2-301's, 99K, 185 J, and now this 503. I have got to STOP this, I have no idea where this one is going to be set up...

LOL Start buying them without the cabinet. But I hear you. I have sewing cabinet row (4 machines) in my living room of all places. One is a treadle Red Eye 66, a Singer 301 and a Singer 15-91. The other one is a pink zig zag style machine with lots of cute cams from the 1950s. That one will go to my soon to be DIL. Still there are atleast 5 more vintage machines in my studio up stairs with no cabinet. I am starting to put some to use though, the 301 and Feather Weight and plan to use an old style Bernina 830. Oh the 500 is still in the garge and who knows what else.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Randa
    When I saw "19" I thought WHOA!!! Then I saw who it was....not surprised!! LOL!
    That isnt including what is in my house that I will not use because they are either really rare or near perfect. Oh and there are 3 treadles in the garage that havent made it anywhere yet. :roll:

Billy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast