Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Singer 66-

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Got this from my neighbor's estate sale.
    Attached Images Attached Images






  2. #2
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Looks like a work horse! Have fun with your new buddy.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Got this from my neighbor's estate sale.
    Very nice score I might add!!!! You have one of the tail end runs for the 66. It is a 66-18 with 15,000 of them allotted on February 14 1955!

    1956 was the last year they were made so this has a historical significance in the collecting world for sure. Funny thing is the last allotment for the "AL" series were the Model 15's and the serials ended in AL999999. What I would give to find that machine!

    Billy

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    ok, looked everything up I could find about it.
    Made on 2/14/1955
    Model 66
    15,000 made
    FactoryName: Elizabethport
    Elizabeth, New Jersey
    serial#AL957769

    Paid $30

    I just downloaded the manual...so now I'll clean it up and see if it works. If not, I can still use it in my sewing room for decoration.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Thank you for that information. I've never felt the need to have an old machine, but then I thought "what the heck" it's only $30 and it looks pretty....lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Got this from my neighbor's estate sale.
    Very nice score I might add!!!! You have one of the tail end runs for the 66. It is a 66-18 with 15,000 of them allotted on February 14 1955!

    1956 was the last year they were made so this has a historical significance in the collecting world for sure. Funny thing is the last allotment for the "AL" series were the Model 15's and the serials ended in AL999999. What I would give to find that machine!

    Billy

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Billy - you said 66-18...where is that listed? I always wondered where the dash and 2nd set of numbers came from?

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Billy - you said 66-18...where is that listed? I always wondered where the dash and 2nd set of numbers came from?
    The second set of numbers indicate the sub model of the machine. Every time the engineers made changes to the machine they added a number to the sub model to indicate the change. Some are very noticeable (like yours being a back tack machine) and some were very subtle and only the engineers knew what it was. Like a oiling hole was enlarged or the type of screw was changed things like that.

    Billy

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Billy - you said 66-18...where is that listed? I always wondered where the dash and 2nd set of numbers came from?
    The second set of numbers indicate the sub model of the machine. Every time the engineers made changes to the machine they added a number to the sub model to indicate the change. Some are very noticeable (like yours being a back tack machine) and some were very subtle and only the engineers knew what it was. Like a oiling hole was enlarged or the type of screw was changed things like that.

    Billy
    Thanks alot!...

  9. #9
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,340
    Very cool find!!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Baysidegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    997
    Beautiful machine. Have fun with her.

  11. #11
    Senior Member CarolLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    618
    Great find! I got one over the winter I need to get cleaned up.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolLady
    Great find! I got one over the winter I need to get cleaned up.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have the wiring looked at before I make any attempts to use it. It looks fine, but just to be sure...lol.

  13. #13
    Super Member Rose L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nebraska..The Good Life
    Posts
    2,142
    Blog Entries
    1
    Congrats! You will love sewing on your "new" machine.

  14. #14
    Senior Member CarolLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolLady
    Great find! I got one over the winter I need to get cleaned up.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have the wiring looked at before I make any attempts to use it. It looks fine, but just to be sure...lol.
    I had to add a foot pedal to mine for some reason it had been cut off.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Mine has the foot pedal, but it's attached to the side of the cabinet...

  16. #16
    MyWifeMadeME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Jonesborough Tn
    Posts
    246
    I think I remember that machine when it came out... lol I love old stuff.

  17. #17
    Senior Member debbiecharlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cajun Country, Louisiana
    Posts
    557
    Beautiful addition to your family! Oh how I wish I could find such a gem......

    She a beauty!

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34
    Blog Entries
    2
    These are my old machines.My treadle machine is my grandmothers so its really special to me.But they are all special in their on way.

    Can someone help me.I can' t get my pictures uploaded.

    desktop/pictures/sewingmachines
    Name:  Attachment-192411.jpe
Views: 62
Size:  64.7 KB

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    34
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BLady
    These are my old machines.My treadle machine is my grandmothers so its really special to me.But they are all special in their on way.

    Can someone help me.I can' t get my pictures uploaded.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Ann63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    ok, looked everything up I could find about it.
    Made on 2/14/1955
    Model 66
    15,000 made
    FactoryName: Elizabethport
    Elizabeth, New Jersey
    serial#AL957769

    Paid $30

    I just downloaded the manual...so now I'll clean it up and see if it works. If not, I can still use it in my sewing room for decoration.
    This is amazing. I was just reading a your post, so I decided to check my serial number on my Singer 66. The serial# AL958286. We have sister machines, lol. I remember is was made in 1955 but did not remember the date. I just had it serviced last week. I bought it at a thrift store for $40. It came with a cabinet and sewing stool full of attachments. This baby is also heavy. I will post a picture when I put it back in the cabinet.

  21. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,576
    Nice!

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    My appreciation for older machines has really increased since joining this board.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Ann63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Macon, Georgia
    Posts
    360
    Here are the pictures I promised. I did not put it back in the cabinet yet because the old varnish is coming off so I am going to strip it first. I used Goo Gone I purchased at the Dollar Store to clean her then wiped with a little Liquid Gold. I can't wait to get the cabinet ready so I really test her out.
    Attached Images Attached Images




  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,386
    Twins!...Singer sisters
    I haven't used mine yet, so I'm not sure if it does FMQ. Maybe someone else will let us know.

    Thanks for posting the pics.

  25. #25
    Super Member AngieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    3,255
    Anyone know how large the throat is on a 66? It looks larger than the 99K. My parents sent me home with a 128, a 99K and wanted me to take the 66 that was in the cabinet, but I didn't have room at the time. Wishing I had. LOL! I'll get it soon. ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.