Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 66 to handcrank?

Singer 66 to handcrank?

Ok, DH wanted to go garage sale hunting this morning. Of course, there was something I couldn't pass up. A 66 singer, from 1933. But an English version. Do any of you have experience or guidance if I can convert this to a hand crank? Or simply purchase an adapter? Where do I go from here. It's in beautiful condition but the base is dusty, I think from the case being removed and set aside. $40.00. Name:  IMG_1815.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  105.2 KBName:  IMG_1816.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  113.7 KBName:  IMG_1823.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  98.7 KB

Quick answer is yes. Just get a Chinese made handcrank from eBay or sew-classic, for example, and fasten it to the motor boss under the handwheel. After removing the motor, of course.

I just bought a reproduction hand crank from Walmart.com. It's cheaply made but it work on my Singer 66.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moaere-Ha...ries/490757314

Thank y'all for the replies. I finally found a you tube on how to convert it. I've always wanted a hand crank.

Make sure you keep track of shich way the three eared clutch washer goes on. If you turn it over there will be problems.

And be prepared to tinker with which third of the washer will be used to get the stop/release to work.
    Name:  leonf-u169597-albums19738-576744.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  416.6 KB
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Thank you, you sound like the voice of experience. That's one of the reasons I love this board. Someone almost always has done it before and can advise.

I generally wait for a Singer 66 or 99 without a cover, to convert. Reason, the cover will no longer fit.
    Maria
    Smoky Mountains of Tennessee

BTW I prefer to support our independent dealers.
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
    I generally wait for a Singer 66 or 99 without a cover, to convert. Reason, the cover will no longer fit.
    I would too but I think the English version is more of a problem than the hand crank?

I am not completely sure that I understand what the differences are between the UK version and the US version of the Singer 66?

The depth of the hubs on the balance wheels can be an issue sometimes. I think ( not sure) that the deeper ones may not leave enough room for the handcrank attchment. Yea, I've converted 66s, 99s. 127s, 28s an even an unsuspecting zig zag Brother.

The depth of the hubs on the balance wheels can be an issue sometimes. I think ( not sure) that the deeper ones may not leave enough room for the handcrank attchment. Yea, I've converted 66s, 99s. 127s, 28s an even an unsuspecting zig zag Brother.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...738-579297.jpg

Blog Entries
    I purchased my handcrank from Sew-Classic. It does require a screw hole under the hand wheel to secure it. That is why I had to change my 66 in the treadle cabinet. The 66 originally in the cabinet had the screw hole, while the one I had purchased on eBay to convert could not be converted.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

toverly's 66 has a motor mounted conventionally..and will therefore have the hole and boss. but for others, this is what you'll be looking for

Name:  leonf-u169597-albums19738-582790.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  287.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    I am not completely sure that I understand what the differences are between the UK version and the US version of the Singer 66?
    The voltage is different with a different plug. The wiring is different, this one was made in Scotland. I don't think I can just purchase an adapter. Does anyone know?

There are adapters available... but you need to know exactly what you are looking for. Probably easier just to buy a new motor and controller..

But I will also add that some that are made in the UK are made for 110 Voltage.

Converters actually.

Thanks leonf, any advice is appreciated.

Maria

Ah, now I understand, it is the motor/electricity component of the machine that is different, I knew about differences in current from UK and the US. I somehow thought that there was an actual difference in the model, and could not figure out what it could be.

I just put a hand crank that I got from sew-classic on a 66. It works fine. I don't think the hub difference would affect putting a hand crank on it, unless maybe it was an original wrap around hand crank.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

I can't remember the issue. I am pretty sure I ran into it when I was taking off a sold balance wheel and installing a spoked one. Maybe I'll run into that again.

Thank y'all for your help. In the end it was super easy to convert. I had the spoked wheel so I didn't have to deal with that issue. I purchased the chinese repop version of the hand crank. The benefit to it was that it actually folds and I can still use the dome top. All it took was two screws to remove the motor and light and one screw back in (the motor screw) to put the hand crank back on. Running like a dream. It took me longer to refind the video on youtube than to actually replace it.

origianal Snger handcranks folks, also.
    Glad you got it so easily.