Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer 66 new to me

Singer 66 new to me

I just purchased this Singer 66 in a cabinet for $50. I hope I got a good deal. I have already removed the scrolled face cover (not sure that is the proper name) and the needle bar parts. It needs a good cleaning and I am not sure exactly which product to use on which parts. All the metal parts need polishing to restore their shine. The black surface is in pretty good shape with a little grazing on the bed. Any help is appreciated in getting this back to working order again. The needle bar would not go all the way down but I found a piece of thread caught up inside and now it makes a full rotation. Yay!Name:  54BBAAB8-A63F-4159-B952-47D4D45C22A8.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  1,022.8 KBName:  AF3749BB-D66B-44F5-A6EA-9CD7F19CAC9E.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  984.6 KBName:  9CA6414D-7DEE-43A1-A39E-51FE62C32A07.jpeg
Views: 315
Size:  1.14 MBName:  950588B3-189D-4625-B39B-4197B02B1EBE.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  910.5 KBName:  A6398D2D-F734-45C3-94AA-638F248AF4B3.jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  830.7 KB
    as you can see it has had a stitch regulator added after manufacture. Is it possible to now restore it to using the knob? As i am taking parts off I put them into zipper lock bags with labeling so I go where to put them back. I took the rubber wheel off the bobbin winder as it was shot. Need to order a new one and possibly a new motor pulley belt.

Beautiful machine. You did well. I would like to suggest taking lots of pictures as you take it apart. Oil everything that moves of should move. Now that you have the access plates open you can reach many things with your oil.

The stitch regulator drew my eye instantly. Way cool. I would leave it on just because it is so rare. and reverse really is a nice feature.
    "Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

I have a Singer 66 and it is truly "my treasure". I have it in my front entry hall and I enjoy telling people about it. I have documentation for it back to 1906. I paid a whole lot more for it than you did; it was in pristine condition.

Lizzie Lenard has a great method to clean up the needle bar and presser bar. Take an 18" thick cotton string, dab a bit of metal polish at the halfway point, thread one end around the bar, bring to front and cross the string ends. Pulling back and forth, moving it up and down, will get the bars cleans.

I would caution you not to remove too many parts. I took way too many parts off of a frozen Singer 128 laVendedora, then decided I probably wouldn't get it back together. Turns out oil, time, more oil, and possibly heat would have been enough to get it moving again. Still sad about that one.

Metal polish is also good for the face and inspection plates, even the Singer badge. Just be careful not to smear it on the decals or black finish.

And yes, I would leave that Revco reverser on. Its a bit of a process to install one, much less remove it and find the missing stitch length screw.

Other question....I have attached a picture of the motor. Do i need to add anything under the screw on top. I know there is a spring under the screw but i don’t min ow if it needs oil or lubricant. Also it looks like oil holes on either end of the motor. Is that correct? Thank you. Name:  80960DFA-D0AF-4D15-A5F2-6F91FD57E94C.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  1.66 MB

For they shiny metal bits I find pastes does a better job than liqids, there are lots to choose from; Quick-Glo clean and shines with out being smelly, that's just one of two or three I keep in the cupboard under the sink.

You can reverse the Revco addition, but I think you need to track down the missing parts, I remember at least two previous posters who found the Revco additon to be a bit noisy compared to the original setup.

I'm not sure about the motor, it's a bit different from my Singers, but there might be a carbon brush under the black bakelite screw. There is a motor axle carried by two bearings on each side, and it shows as the protruding point at each end of the motor. The bearings usually takes grease, but on some models it can be one or two drops of oil.

WIChix.. "I took way too many parts off of a frozen Singer 128 laVendedora, then decided I probably wouldn't get it back together. Turns out oil, time, more oil, and possibly heat would have been enough"

I learned about oil-patience-heat and the wonders it does. Great advise. Slow and steady wins the race these days. Oil/Wait/Test. Oil/Wait/Test. Heat as needed.

Where are you in Wisconsin??
    Last edited by LoriH58; 05-01-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    OMG! I love your new machine!❤️
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

That's a beauty! In my opinion $50 is a steal!!!

I know there is a spring under the screw but i don’t know if it needs oil or lubricant Quote

nonononononoonononononono
    Micky 2 is correct as far as she went. That is access for a brush. You will find another under it for the second brush.

They can be cleaned but not oiled.

"Sacrifices must be made." Otto Lilienthal

Leonf, I really shouldn’t be allowed to do this because I don’t know anything about motors, etc. You mentioned brushes...I know you don’t mean as in bottle brushe kind of things. (I can see your eyes roll now LOL). Are the brushes something I should be able to see because all I see is the spring and nothing that looks remotely like a brush under that. Also... on the left and right ends of the motor are protrusions with a little hole that looks like it might be a place to put in oil? lubricant?

Thank you to everyone for helping me. I love this machine and am anxiously waiting for a new bobbin winder tire to come in the mail before trying to sew with it. Unfortunately I pulled the old thread off the bobbins that I got with it and I don’t have any other bobbins that fit it. So I have to wait. ☹️☹️

The brush is mounted on the end of a spring. The screw in caps compress the springs so that the brushes brush against the commutator mounted on the drive shaft of the motor. No oil, grease or other lubricant should go anywhere near the brushes or commutator. You might find the Vintage Sewing Machine Garage channel on You Tube useful. They've just done a series on sewing machine motors.

I love the after marked reverse modification. I've never seen one of those before. I would keep it on this machine for curiosity value and the fact that a machine which can sew forwards and backwards is useful. Just my opinion of course. It's your machine to do with as you wish.

Happy restoring!

Quote Originally Posted by AlvaStitcher View Post
    ...I know you don’t mean as in bottle brushe kind of things. (I can see your eyes roll now LOL). Are the brushes something I should be able to see because all I see is the spring and nothing that looks remotely like a brush under that. Also... on the left and right ends of the motor are protrusions with a little hole that looks like it might be a place to put in oil? lubricant?
    Motor brushes are like solid boxes of carbon. Some are attached to the springs, and some springs fit over a knob on top of the brushes. John did a thread about one that he had trouble getting out of a 201 to see if it need replaced https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...-+Singer+201-2 From my understanding there are different sizes and some sizes are not made any more, so I have read that some have gotten a larger size and filed it down. Sew-classic sells some at https://shop.sew-classic.com/Carbon-...7-w-spring.htm (Not affiliated)
    There is also https://oldsingersewingmachineblog.c...ewing-machine/ that shows two sets of brushes (Not affiliated)
    There are many places on the web that talk about motor brushes for sewing machines. If memory serves they should be over 1/4" long and if aren't that long, they will need to be replaced.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-04-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with links other than QB
    Janey & John

Thank you Janey for the great explanation and links. I mentioned to my DH about the brushes or the lack of them in my case; at least there was nothing attached to the spring that I removed. I’ll have him look to be sure and, if he agrees that none are present, we will be ordering new ones.

Everyone has been so helpful in my quest to get this machine cleaned up and useful. Thanks again.