Singer 66 tension reading pin

Old 01-14-2017, 07:10 AM

Default Singer 66 tension reading pin

I have the old back mount Singer 66 that needs a tension releasing pin....I know they frequently go missing and have read they can be easily made. But that is not in my skills and abilities. What other solutions are there? This pin is completely round according to repair info I have, versus the flattened end like say on a 201. Does that matter? I don't have any machines to rob from though!

Gotta love that darn auto correct! I didn't see it corrected to "reading" in title and of course can't edit the title, lol!

Last edited by Cogito; 01-14-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 AM

Once you have an idea of the length and width of the release pin it's not too difficult to make one. You sort of rumble through the tool box, or go to the hardware store and look for a suitable piece; a nail, pin or similar metal piece you can cut off just the right length. You can search up any replacement part though, some specialize in older sewing machines.

There might be two different release pins for model 66, I'm not sure. The older version tensioner has a simple nut you adjust the tension with, the later version has a numbered dial the same as you 201. Double check you get the correct type.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-14-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Thank you Mickey2 for responding. Unfortunately I was sincere when I said it's not within my skills and abilities to fabricate my own. It's simply just not in my repertoire, lol! I appreciate also you taking time to google search eBay. I cannot bring myself to purchase from this vendor because of the high prices on everything he puts on eBay....I mean really....$10 for that releasing pin? He has been around awhile so somebody must be willing to pay. I just can't.
Thanks again and hopefully others will respond on here also.
And yes, since this is the older back clamping style, it does not have the numbered dial, just the nut, I am aware that Singer transitioned to the pin with one flattened end, I'm just not sure if that makes a difference in fit and/or performance with this 66 version...66-1
Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Once you have an idea of the length and width of the release pin it's not too difficult to make one. You sort of rumble through the tool box, or go to the hardware store and look for a suitable piece; a nail, pin or similar metal piece you can cut off just the right length. You can search up any replacement part though, some specialize in older sewing machines.

There might be two different release pins for model 66, I'm not sure. The older version tensioner has a simple nut you adjust the tension with, the later version has a numbered dial the same as you 201. Double check you get the correct type.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Ok Mickey2 you got me thinking so I went to one of my go to sites for other vintage parts and found it for .89 cents! It is a little on the long side, but the correct diameter so maybe I can find someone to cut it down for me. Much better than $10! I don't know why that didn't occur to me...blame it on this terrible respiratory thing I've had going on for over a week! Lol.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

I have made them out of nails. I might have one around.