Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 99 with knee bar needs electrical connection >

Singer 99 with knee bar needs electrical connection

Singer 99 with knee bar needs electrical connection

Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Singer 99 with knee bar needs electrical connection

We ran across this 99-13 with a knee bar but there is no electrical connection to the controller. Does anyone know where I might purchase something like this. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails 2017-oct-23-singer-99-ab547817-mfg-3-23-27-pd-%2410-resized.jpg   2017-oct-23-singer-99-ab547817-mfg-3-23-27-pd-%2410-resized1.jpg   2017-oct-23-singer-99-ab547817-mfg-3-23-27-pd-%2410-resized2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2017, 11:52 AM

I have the later knee controller and it has a three pin plug under the hand wheel. Since you have the slightly earlier version, I think the mains plug and wire is the two plugs on the side and the wall socket plug on the other? You should be able to keep the plugs and rewire them. You have to investigate a bit to get them appart; parts can be threaded, clipped, click on, some times these plugs are filled with a resin type sealant.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 AM

make life simpler and rewire it to take the plug like Mickey describes. Those parts are readily available.

Or you an rewire using the old style plugs. They are not available aftermarket - so you'd have to watch eBay for old ones. If that last picture is what you have, then just use them. They twist apart and you can easily connect new wires. DH marked mine to keep the polarity correct.

I have machines wired both ways. DH rewired the 128, but the 99's are still as found.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:06 AM

I checked my 1928 99-13 last night that has these kind of plugs. They screw apart. The smooth end that is about 1/8"? wide unscrews from the 'threaded' area. It has an underwriters knot and some sort of collar around the actual plug portion. I'm not sure how to rewire it, but thought I had read that it had been done. I can't really see how the wire attaches to the plug, but would assume that it would need to be soldered. I haven't watched it but you might check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Wj6TrZoSk

I think this is the manual for that type of plugs - http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...2c142a66d9.pdf

I have sewn with mine, but the wiring does need some attention.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:29 AM

All of these old machines were put together by hand, and made to be repaired and serviced for years and years. I think they thought of sewing machines as a life time investment in those days. That's why I think it should be within reach to have everything rewired; keeping plugs, motor and speed controller when parts are intact. Double check the insulation every where, that's the most important thing to get these old electrics up to todays standard. Like Janey mentions; there's often a bit of soldering involved, on the three pin plugs as well as the older type you have.