Singer 99k advice please?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Default Singer 99k advice please?

I have seen a 1960 Singer 99k advertised locally. The owner states:-

"The silver bobbin cover is loose as the spring needs to be repaired, but this doesn't effect operation."

I don't know anything about repairing sewing machines and would like to know if this would be something that I could easily get fixed or would it be wise to leave this sewing machine and look out for a different one.

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Clare
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

This is a quick, easy fix. Check with sewclassic.com for parts.

Shari
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM

Thank you for your help Shari.

Clare
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM

Clare,
Look at the left side of the machine where the bobbin cover is missing. At the far edge of the recessed area is a spring with a tiny screw in the center of it. This is the spring the seller is talking about. It can easily be removed and straightened if bent or it and the screw can be replaced. As Shari said both parts are available at Sew-Classic.

The bobbin cover is removed and replaced by lifting it's right edge and sliding it to the right. It goes back on the reverse.

Joe
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Clare,

Joe is correct. This model's slide plate goes on from Right to Left instead of left to right.

It just might be seller is trying to put it on in the incorrect direction - might be there's nothing really wrong except 'operator error'.

Models 66 and 99 are both Right to Left throat plate installations. I think they are the only Singers that are that way........... (?).

Shari
Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Thank you for the picture Joe. It really helps to have a visual. I am confident to go for this sewing machine now.

Clare
Old 10-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Muv

Hello Clare,

Yes, everybody is right in saying the bobbin cover goes on from right to left. The only way to do it is to unscrew the needle plate, so when you go and look at the machine make sure that the screws in the needle plate aren't jammed so tight you can't unscrew them. Ask the seller if they have a screwdriver with the machine. You don't want to wreck the screw heads with the wrong size screwdriver.

The best place for machine bits in this country is http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk

Use the loose bobbin cover as a bargaining tool and get them to lower the price. PM me about price and condition if you want.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM

Thank you Muv. I will take a screwdriver as I don't think there is one with the sewing machine. I have some modern Singer screwdrivers and hope one of these will work if needed. Thank you also for the UK supplies link.

I had an old hand crank Singer when I was a child and loved it. Unfortunately it got dropped and the needle uptake snapped in half. I had no idea it could be repaired at the time so, sadly, that was the end of the line for the sewing machine.

I have recently taken up sewing again (venturing into the world of patchwork and quilting) and would love to get another Singer hand crank for sentimental reasons (but not as a main machine for quilting as I have a modern machine for this). I don't even know which machine it was that I had, it came with a rounded wooden cover, and I think had a wooden accessories cover and was beautifully decorated with red and gold. I've looked all through the pictures thread and still don't know which one it was, but I'm not not too worried about getting the same model as long as I have a Singer handcrank (or two, or perhaps three!!).

It is funny how memory works, but it was only after seeing the photo Joe kindly posted for me that I recalled what the bobbin cover spring was, in my head I was imagining something round and coiled, but of course I was way off! The more I look at the old machines, the more I start remembering the one I used to have and then the more I want another one.

I think the price of the one I am currently interested in is around £30, it is in working condition but has no accessories.

I watched several of your videos yesterday and really enjoyed them. When I get a new machine I shall be coming back to them. I was not considering buying an old electric machine (for safety reasons) but your video showing how to replace a motor with a hand crank has now opened up this avenue for me.

Thank you all for your much appreciated help.

Happy stitching.
Clare

Last edited by Littlebearquiltingboard; 10-20-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

I have learned NOT to do the repair until the buyer has the money in his hot little hands so he can't change his mind
Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Muv

Hello Miriam - yes, it can be a bit tricky.

My tack is to breeze in and point out exactly what is wrong with it (that way the seller doesn't think you are dim) and tell them that it is going to take time, effort and probably spare parts to fix it (so what about dropping a tenner off the price, giving him room to split the difference) and would he mind please if I just checked the needleplate is going to come off without too much trouble, otherwise there's no point in taking the machine at all. Also there are no accessories or manual, so if he's thinking of £25, £20 might be nearer the mark.

Don't fret if you don't get it, Clare, we are knee deep in hand machines in this country. Another one will turn up.