Singer attachment

Old 09-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Default Singer attachment

My apologies if anyone here is bidding. I'm just wondering about the attachment in the lower right corner.
It's bigger in the second picture. I think it's the reason for the bids being so high. What is it?
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-24278376.html
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 09-20-2015, 01:04 PM

I've been watching it, I "was" interested, but not at this high of a price. I don't know what the accessory is, but I think it's probably what the loonies are after.

I've seen several auctions for accessories and attachments go ridiculously high lately.

Joe
Old 09-20-2015, 01:38 PM

That little item often sells for over $200 on eBay - though I also spy out things and hope no one else notices. Got some great deals like that. I rarely ask the seller questions, because often the question and answer are posted, and that helps others spy out the "gem" in the pile of junk.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:30 PM

That is so true, never give them a hint or they learn too much.lol
Old 09-21-2015, 05:30 AM
Administrator

the photos lead me to believe it's a collection of different attachments.
notably, i recognized a few different button hole attachments, ruffling foot/feet.

the current price might not be as high as it seems, since the attachments have resale value.
the button holers and rufflers would each be fairly expensive, it think, from a vintage/antique retailer.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:56 AM

Another one of those collectibles like a pinker or penguin then. It looks like it might be for couching threads or yarn.
Rodney

EDIT: I just did some looking around. It's the embroidery attachment. Looks like Singer also made an even cooler 2 thread version.

Last edited by Rodney; 09-21-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:24 AM

Rodney - it's a single thread embroider attachment. The main problem with then is there is a little spring (spring steel, actually) and it needs to be in good shape for the attachment to work well. Interestingly - I have one of these that is top clamp and fits a White.

From what I've seen - here is the list from most expensive on down. Most of these are sets that have more than one peice - complete sets with box and instructions sell for top $$$.

Double thread embroidery (has attachment plus thread holder)
Walking foot (penguin)
Singer Thread Embroidery (has attachment plus thread holder)
Fagoter (has bar, stripper and foot - the foot is often missing and can sell for as much as the full set)

Then there are the less expensive but rare group (and I'm probably forgetting a few . . .)

Tube foot
Style-o-matic foot (has a removable end, often missing)
Pinker - machine attachment
Pinker - Hand Crank
Singercraft Rug making tool - with extensions and cutter w blade
Hemstitcher with plate (plates are different depending on machine it fits, attachment is the same)
Braiding foot (has a clip on the top of foot)
Guide foot (comes with 5 guides)
Hopping (darning) foot - sometimes this is also referred to as an embroider foot
Mock Hemstitcher
Large Oval darning frame
Small Sock Darning frame (much more common than larger frame)

Zigzag and button hole attachments (there are several as they changed over the years).
Blind Hemmer Attachment

And then comes the more common stuff.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM

Double thread embroidery (has attachment plus thread holder) { Want }
Walking foot (penguin) { Want, really really bad }
Singer Thread Embroidery (has attachment plus thread holder) { Nice to have }
Fagoter (has bar, stripper and foot - the foot is often missing and can sell for as much as the full set) { Have the foot, need the rest. }

Then there are the less expensive but rare group (and I'm probably forgetting a few . . .)

Tube foot { Can't picture this one, might be nice to have }
Style-o-matic foot (has a removable end, often missing) { Would be nice to have, need to see pics }
Pinker - machine attachment { Want }
Pinker - Hand Crank {Want }
Singercraft Rug making tool - with extensions and cutter w blade { Nice to have for collection }
Hemstitcher with plate (plates are different depending on machine it fits, attachment is the same) { Have a Greist unit for a White machine }
Braiding foot (has a clip on the top of foot) { Think I might have one, but not sure }
Guide foot (comes with 5 guides) { Have the foot and one guide, really really want the rest of the guides }
Hopping (darning) foot - sometimes this is also referred to as an embroider foot { Have }
Mock Hemstitcher { Need to see a pic of this one }
Large Oval darning frame { Want }
Small Sock Darning frame (much more common than larger frame) { Want }

Zigzag and button hole attachments (there are several as they changed over the years). { Have lots of different ones }
Blind Hemmer Attachment { Got a couple of those too }

Joe
Old 09-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks Cathy! Most of the attachments you listed are still on my "WANT" list. Some more than others. The fagoter looks like it would be fun the first few feet. I'm not sure I would have the patience to make a lot of trim with it. I really want the hemstitcher and mock hemstitcher attachments. They look like fun to me. I wouldn't mind getting both the embroidery attachments either. They'll have to be thrift store or yard sale finds though. I can't afford the retail prices.

I do have most of the Singer buttonholers now (at least for the US market) I think I just need the pink Jetsons one to have them all. I have the large embroidery hoop and a Greist zigzagger. I may have a Singer blindstitch attachment too. I'm not sure, I really need to get my attachments organized by type and machine. I think I have most of the basic low shank feet but none of the rare ones.

Found a fun album on Needlebar. I'm only on page 9. http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media
I probably shouldn't have went looking around. I'm starting to get attachment disorder.
Rodney
Old 09-21-2015, 01:31 PM

I've been on a "puzzle box" kick for a while. I wasn't going to collect them - and then somehow got "sick" and now I've got most of them.

Don't have style 1
Have Style 2 for VS (missing one hemmer)
Have style 3 in vs and rotary
#4, 5 and 6 - not sure what these even are. Have not found any info on them so far . . .
Have style 7 for vs and rotary
have style 8 for vs and working on rotary
have style 9 for Rotary, and working on VS
have style 10 for VS and Rotary
have style 11 for VS and rotary (this is the most common).

It's kind of neat as there are two different hemmer styles, four different rufflers, three different tuckers, the underbraider does not appear until Style 3 (1 and two have a foot for braiding) after that, the underbraider does not change. boxes pre style 7 have a hook closer, boxes style 8 and later have a latch. I've seen style #7 both ways.

I took a lot of pictures last weekend - just need time to post them. Right now I need to go pick tomatoes and carrots - and then I need to make carrot cake, all of which are going in to the office with me tomorrow (along with a quilt I just finished the binding on over lunch break).