Singer BAJ3 8. Loud hum

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Default Singer BAJ3 8. Loud hum

I just changed the belt on my Singer BAJ3 8 and now I have a loud hum that seems to be coming from the motor when using it. I don't have the manual for this and am stumped as to why it now hums. I tried loosening the belt , but no luck..Also , I really had to struggle with getting the belt on..very tight.
Any suggestions.......Tks. Greg
Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Banned

I only collect pre-electric machines, but I would say you have the wrong belt.

1. Does the motor spin free and quiet without the belt?
2. does the machine turn EASILY by hand without the belt on?

If either of these is a "no", then I would start there.

EDIT: Welcome to the Board!!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Greg,

The number you posted is the motor number, not the machine model number. Just so you'll know.

Most likely you adjusted the belt too tight. The manual will tell you to adjust the belt just tight enough to not slip. I've found that when adjusted properly they actually look loose.

Joe
Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 AM

Welcome to the board!

It usually shouldn't be a struggle to get the belt on - if it's one of the old black cast-iron machines, you can loosen the motor mount and slide the motor up to get yourself some slack. I have a White that you have to loosen the flywheel instead, but *something* should come loose to allow you to get the belt on and off pretty easily.

The belt should be much looser than an automobile belt, for example. You want it as loose as it can be and still catch a grip. Like Joe said, it should LOOK loose; if your belt is making perfectly straight lines to and from the pulley, it's too snug.

If you can post a picture of your machine, someone will probably be able to give you very precise tips on what to do.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 PM

I will add that some belts are smaller in diameter than the hand wheel that they go over, so that could cause a struggle. In those cases, removing the hand wheel is easiest. Otherwise, it does sound like it might be the wrong belt. If you can post a serial number or preferably a photo, we can likely tell you the belt number you should have and see if it's the right one.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM

If it's a new "lug belt," they are wider than the vintage belts, and that might cause the hum.