singer click click

Old 02-06-2014, 03:33 PM

Where did you buy it, Joe? I've never had a cracked one, but I don't work on many Stylists.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Where did you buy it, Joe? I've never had a cracked one, but I don't work on many Stylists.
I avoid them, too.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I learned a long time ago that leaving a magnet consistently next to any metal part of a machine will eventually throw off the mechanism. My son had trouble with his computer. He would have couple bottles of beer at the computer and had a bottle opener with a magnet on the back attached to his cpu. Cost him lot of money. Could be that has been the problem. Since it wasn't fixed right in the first place. Enough magnetism drawing the needle over to click.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Banned

Magnets effect electronic devices and computers (specifically hard drives and memory) which use magnetism to function.

Not much chance they would effect a mechanical device with the exception of collecting metal filing/shaving/dust in a location near the magnet.....

The Gauss (scale of magnet power ) necessary to move a needle is pretty intense. Only a "rare earth" magnet or an electromagnet would have that kind of umph

good try though!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 PM

oh thank you all for responding. today was a long work day for me. I will try everything.
thank you and I will let you know what happens.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Those I've used I bought from the LSMG. However Sewing Machine Parts has them> { http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sea...=singer+163990 }
I think there is two sizes, but I'm not sure. All five I have used have been the same.

Joe
Old 02-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM

today is the day. I am going to fix this click or she(a co-worker) can find her machine in a snow bank. we have lots of snow here in wisconsin. I have my 2nd cup of coffee at my side.

so I took it apart for the umteenth time.

candace, I see the feed dog adjuster spring but cannot get to it. someone has removed the bottom of the machine and put the screw in crooked and tightened it. now it won't budge.

joe, I had the top off twice and it is a chore to align it up to get the screws back in. but I remember looking at that 'nylon' washer. it had a little piece of plastic on it so you could grab it to replace. I did not see any cracks so did not go further with it. just oiled everything.

I put on the other needle plate for straight stitching ... no clicking. needle clears the whole fine and the feed dogs do not rub.

in taking off that needle plate, with the light just right I seen something on the right side of the feed dog. took my little screwdriver and scraped it across ... there WAS a little burr on the feed dog. took it out one more time and scraped it vigorously with the end of my little screwdriver. ... put it back in and NO MORE CLICKING. got out my dremel and wire wheel and ran it on the little burr spot. smooth. I checked the needle plate where it should have been rubbing and it was smooth BUT there was a spot that was discolored. this must have been the spot where the feed dog was rubbing.

the clicking singer is NO more. this machine is going back to its owner and not via a snow bank.

sat back and finished my cup of coffee!

thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wilburness View Post
today is the day. I am going to fix this click or she(a co-worker) can find her machine in a snow bank. we have lots of snow here in wisconsin. I have my 2nd cup of coffee at my side.

so I took it apart for the umteenth time.

candace, I see the feed dog adjuster spring but cannot get to it. someone has removed the bottom of the machine and put the screw in crooked and tightened it. now it won't budge.

joe, I had the top off twice and it is a chore to align it up to get the screws back in. but I remember looking at that 'nylon' washer. it had a little piece of plastic on it so you could grab it to replace. I did not see any cracks so did not go further with it. just oiled everything.

I put on the other needle plate for straight stitching ... no clicking. needle clears the whole fine and the feed dogs do not rub.

in taking off that needle plate, with the light just right I seen something on the right side of the feed dog. took my little screwdriver and scraped it across ... there WAS a little burr on the feed dog. took it out one more time and scraped it vigorously with the end of my little screwdriver. ... put it back in and NO MORE CLICKING. got out my dremel and wire wheel and ran it on the little burr spot. smooth. I checked the needle plate where it should have been rubbing and it was smooth BUT there was a spot that was discolored. this must have been the spot where the feed dog was rubbing.

the clicking singer is NO more. this machine is going back to its owner and not via a snow bank.

sat back and finished my cup of coffee!

thank you everyone for your suggestions and help.
It feels so good when you win one!!! Yippie
Old 02-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Congratulations! Glad to hear you got it fixed. Now I'll add burrs to my things to look for on noisy machines.

Joe