Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Clone - Ambassador/Damaged case >

Singer Clone - Ambassador/Damaged case

Singer Clone - Ambassador/Damaged case

Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM

Thank you Rodney. I found the Wood Glue at Meijer and have re-glued the loose corner. Now it needs to dry before I try anything else. All the provided information as been very helpful. When I unpacked the box earlier this week and saw the broken base, I was discouraged. Now I am at the other end of the spectrum and feeling quite confident about it.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM

Okay, I am stuck. I may have gotten over zealous with gluing. Not sure the corner wedges labeled A and B should be where I have them. If not, I can chisel them back out. Also, nothing else is glued down, just set in position for reference. In the second picture, I have two pieces of wood and I don't know where they need to go.
Attached Thumbnails base1.jpg   base2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Banned

I would guess all 4 bits go in the main area (as opposed to the accessory area) and they function as the bits that the sewing machine bed sits on.

If so, they should be about 1/4" shorter than the sides when placed on the inside
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 AM

AHA! Okay, I will take them out of the secondary area. Thank you Steve.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM

Gail,

Here is a pic of two cases I did that show all the pieces in their appropriate places. The larger of the two thin flat pieces goes into the storage section for the cord block to mount to. There should be a screw hole in it. You can see the screw hole in that section at the top of the left case. The one on the right is upside down and harder to see.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]480329[/ATTACH]

SteveH is correct, the 4 triangular pieces go in the corners of the main section, under the machine. The smaller of the two thin pieces usually goes in the center of the front as an additional support for the machine. This can be seen on right case. Not all cases have the front center support, the one on the left never had one.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails sewmor-hother-cases.jpg  

Last edited by J Miller; 06-25-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM

I knew I would do this wrong, but this is how you learn. The pictures are very helpful Joe.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 AM

I fixed up one like that and it looks great now. Lots of sandpaper, get the small grain, clean the old glue off of the sides, re-glue the joints and clamp the heck out of them. Let it dry for several days then sand again. get all of the fine sanding off with a tacky rag, I used spray paint for wood and painted it black to match the machine. Order some rubber feet for the bottom of the box and you are good to go. I used April1930.com to order the feet.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Thanks Pat, all this advice is very helpful. I got the wedges pried back out. I do want to sand it and paint it. I want to paint it a cream color and then decoupage it with old pattern pieces. I thought that would be nice. One step forward, two back some days. :-)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltFaerie View Post
Thanks Pat, all this advice is very helpful. I got the wedges pried back out. I do want to sand it and paint it. I want to paint it a cream color and then decoupage it with old pattern pieces. I thought that would be nice. One step forward, two back some days. :-)
I had the same idea, just having a hard time finding vintage patterns, I want to use the artwork on the case also, with pattern pieces in the background. I found some free downloads, but the resolution of the images was worth about what I paid for them.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
I had the same idea, just having a hard time finding vintage patterns, I want to use the artwork on the case also, with pattern pieces in the background. I found some free downloads, but the resolution of the images was worth about what I paid for them.
I would use a photo copy of the vintage pattern covers rather than the real thing. It would look better and the originals would not be harmed. If we took some pics and posted the pics would you be able to print them? Maybe we could start a new thread for posting pics of vintage patterns? How about pics of vintage sewing machines minstead?