singer graduate 6705?

Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM

Default singer graduate 6705?

Hi im once again at a thrift and i spy a singer graduate 6705 for $15. Good buy? Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...sing_grad.html

Here is something to get you started til you get more responses.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks! I decided to get it. Its a bit stuck so the arm doesnt move freely but last time it was moving parts freely.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

There is lots of help on here. Good luck with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM

Ok, so I finally have the arm moving freely, the main shaft was seized and after copious amounts of oil and a bit of manhandling it. It not is moving! *dances* Now.. the bobbin. *sighs* I'm used to a side loading bobbin, and this is a top drop in bobbin. I had to pull it apart to find a squeak. Now I think i have it put together properly but it takes a Class 66 bobbin. Well Google says it does. So i went to Walmart, bought some more oil, and a set of singer branded class 66 bobbins. I drop the sucker in, and it takes up the thread but it gets caught on the top of the bobbin and then freezes. The class 66 is too hard to pull out, and it doesn't turn freely. Any suggestions?

I'm still waiting on the general purpose foot i ordered from a Singer authorized quilt shop to arrive. They were out and were expecting a delivery next day from a sister shop.

So for now no more testing.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM

foufymaus,

You are using the correct bobbin. The problem is the current Singer bobbins are made in China and sometimes do not fit correctly. I've had great results using bobbins bought from Sew-Classic. Her metal Class 66 bobbins are really nice.
Can you take a pic of the bobbin area and post it?

Make sure the bobbin case is in correctly. It just sits on top of the hook in the recess, with the small retaining spring at about 4:00 preventing it from rotating, and a little movable tab at 11:00 holding it down. That is really it.
Make sure everything under there is clean. That really makes a difference and can mess up the thread tension if it's dirty.

The needle goes in flat to the back and threads front to rear.

Joe
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]416142[/ATTACH]
Here is the bobbin casing without any thing in it. I didn't notice a retaining spring.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416143[/ATTACH]
This is it assembled but i noticed that if the plates are close to the plastic case the thread won't get pulled through but if i leave room for the thread, the plastic case wiggles a bit
. [ATTACH=CONFIG]416144[/ATTACH]
this is another view of the whole area. Do you know if it takes certain needles or will the standard generic ones work.

Here's the entire album of different pix: http://imgur.com/a/RSW0O
Attached Thumbnails mosjhxrh.jpg   ragghm6.jpg   bdjp1fd.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 AM

OK, you have a plastic "Apollo" style bobbin case. Singer supplied the plastic Class 66 bobbins for those.
Your assembled picture looks good, the bobbin case should have a little movement to it. There should be enough room for the thread, but not too much, to pass through the adjustable locator tab.

It takes standard 15x1 needles.

Now for the bad part. Look at the hook, the tip looks to be broken off. Every one I've ever seen has a very sharp point on it and yours does not. That is probably why it won't pick up the thread.
When I say very sharp I am not kidding, I have a scar on my left index finger where a hook point sliced right through it. It was so sharp and quick it didn't even bleed or hurt.

Wanna see a pic of my finger ??? I think I have a pic of a hook too if you want to see it.

Joe
Old 05-30-2013, 07:21 AM

Please disregard what I said about the hook. I'd edit my comment but it's past the allotted time.

If the hook rotates counter clockwise it's probably OK.

At this point I'm going to say this:
Double check your reassembly. There shouldn't be too much clearance between the little tab and the bobbin case, if there is it will cause noise and affect the tension, and if it's too tight it can jam up the thread and mess up the tension. I had fits with our 501 because the clearance was wrong. Once right it sews right along.

There are specs on the clearance, I don't know what they are for that machine though.

I think I'm right on the rest of what I said .... I hope.

Singer service manuals { http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/ } is a good place to start.
Singer parts charts { http://www.parts.singerco.com/IPpartCharts/ }
Singer instruction manuals { http://www.singerco.com/accessories/instruction-manuals }

Basically I'm trying to bow out on this right now cos my brain is not working and I'm going to cause problems if I keep guessing.
Gonna turn the puter off and go back to bed, only safe place for me right now.

Joe
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM

lol thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out today.