Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Merritt 2404 is ready for work >

Singer Merritt 2404 is ready for work

Singer Merritt 2404 is ready for work

Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Singer Merritt 2404 is ready for work

Hello all,

The 2404(pink lady)is ready to go to work. Seems this one was made in Brazil in the 80's and am waiting to see if Singer can confirm. It just needed a little cleaning and oiling. She has been in storage for a number of years. Someone has attempted some adjustments with the bobbin tension way out of wack and the balance wheel 3 tab washer was reversed. The Merritt has a strong .1 amp motor and she sews like a champ. It is well built, but it does have a few plastic gears. I think with a little TLC she has many years left in her. The motor is hardwired with a on/off switch on the rear of the motor and yet there is a 4 prong receptacle below the drive belt and I can't figure out why it is there-maybe some accessory???. It came with 27 flat fashion cams and all accessories except the dog cover for FM work. All in all it's a nifty little machine. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Rodney in Ponchatoula, La.
Attached Thumbnails img_7214.jpg   img_7215.jpg   img_7217.jpg   img_7221.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Very nice! Nice to see it didn't take much to get it going again.
Rodney
Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 AM

Do Singer Merritt's have metal or plastic gears? I see them for sale all the time.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 AM

They are sweet little machines, I have two. Yes, ladydukes, they have plastic gears. I ordered replacements from SEW CLASSIC just to have on hand. You never know, 5 years from now, may not be able to find them anywhere!!
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM

Singer used to have a factory in Brazil for many of the lower end mechanical machines. Factory was still going strong into the early 2000's. Not sure if they still do, now that they are part of Viking.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:40 AM

I heard back from Singer that the Merritt 2404(C) were made in Brazil in the mid 80's and was prefixed with a "C" which was in the single letter list showing a 1908 manuf. date-NOT!! The single "C" was used for a second time leading to the single letter prefix confusion on my part. They do have metal/plastic gears and only use the "flat fashion disc" an NOT the top hat style.

Rodeny in Ponchatoula, La.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:40 AM

I just joined this site and I see this is an old post. Do you still have this machine?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 AM

Different Rodney but welcome anyway!
Rodney
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by soman2 View Post
I heard back from Singer that the Merritt 2404(C) were made in Brazil in the mid 80's and was prefixed with a "C" which was in the single letter list showing a 1908 manuf. date-NOT!! The single "C" was used for a second time leading to the single letter prefix confusion on my part. They do have metal/plastic gears and only use the "flat fashion disc" an NOT the top hat style.

Rodeny in Ponchatoula, La.
And this is a perfect example of why I say that no one who works for Singer now knows anything about the older machines. They just read info off the same lists that we have access to and they can't even get that right. "2404C". The "C" is at the END of the model #- how is that a PRE-fix?

Cari
P.S. I went through the same thing with Brother a few years ago. None of them have any idea about the vintage machines. They tried to tell me they never made a certain model number, I said that's funny because I have one here right in front of me.

Cari
Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
Singer used to have a factory in Brazil for many of the lower end mechanical machines. Factory was still going strong into the early 2000's. Not sure if they still do, now that they are part of Viking.
I don't know if the Brazil factory is still owned by Singer, but actually, Singer bought Viking. Singer, Viking and Pfaff machines are now made in China.

Cari