• Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Singer Model 12K throat plate help >
  • Singer Model 12K throat plate help

• Singer Model 12K throat plate help

Old 03-24-2021, 10:03 PM

Default Singer Model 12K throat plate help

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been covered already but my search skills are not faring well today. I've got a Singer Model 12K from about 1884 - so the clutch release is not the one you pull out. I've got out the two sliding plates so I can get to the shuttle. I also want to remove the throat plate and have removed the screw but can't "lift off" the throat plate. Even after it has soaked liberally in penetrating oil. There's no rust, things are well and truly gummed up with old oil that has gone almost "tarry".

Is that throat plate meant to slide out rather than push in? The online manuals I've looked at don't even talk about cleaning the feed dogs. This was probably so obvious to even the youngest seamstresses in the family that it didn't warrant a mention in the manual lest you take offence as the gentle reader of the suggestion you're an idiot!

I - on the other hand - am very much at the ID10T level, despite my RTFM approach. So any tips at all are welcomed, regardless of how obvious they might seem to the experienced.

I've also seen here: https://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/12k_parts_for_sale
    a feed dog slide cover for under the bed (their stock number D2308). Where on Earth does that belong? I can't see one in my machine. Nor can I see it in my slightly younger 12K that does have the pull-out clutch release. Will that remain hidden until I get the throat plate out - or...?

Thanks heaps for any help at all,
    Megan
    Old 03-25-2021, 01:18 PM

Megan, I, too, am new to 12 ownership. It's an 1877. The needle plate has one screw, and does lift off. It is a very snug fit.

What you may want to try: kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid dissolves old oil, and is generally safe on finish where the clear coat is not compromised. Using a screwdriver, insert the blade about 1/8" into the kero, and gently apply the dampened blade to both sides of the needle plate seams, left, right, upper, lower. Repeat a few times, let sit, repeat again. Let it work. half a day, a day, repeating.

If the kero has not budged the plate to be removed by hand, you could: remove the needle, foot, and screw. Position the shuttle carrier so it is out of the way of the needle plate. Carefully, using a long small block of wood, about the size of a pencil, position one end against the underside of the needle plate, and gently tap on the other end with a lightweight hammer. GENTLY so as not to damage the needle plate.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:40 PM

Thank you WIChix - I guess since she took some 136 years to get this stuck I can't exactly expect her to loosen her grip willingly! I'll try quite a bit more gentle persuasion. Kind regards... Megan
    Old 03-26-2021, 06:33 PM

Update - I got the plate off! And the fluff underneath was so old and hard it was like a gingernut - but black and kind of oily/sticky. Onward with the cleaning - thanks so much for the help everyone. :-)
    Old 03-27-2021, 05:47 AM

Awesome! It's amazing what crud can build up around the feed dogs.