Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Singer Potted Motor Wirings- Need HELP.

Singer Potted Motor Wirings- Need HELP.

hi all,

i am trying to rewire a potted motor didn't realize that as soon as i dug deeper into the wirings, all the rubber covers/rubber wirings are all toasted and flaked easily. i am now down to the bare wirings that goes straight to the potted motor. is there any other way for me to fix it by not going the hard route of disassembling the potted motor. i see RAIN's blog about rewiring the POTTED MOTOR but quite frankly didn't want to venture into that. all i wanted to do is just to make it safe and usable. can it be done without going to the inside of the motor? can i just wrap it with electrical tape or use liquid tape and i will be good to go? as you can see from my picture, that is the wire that goes to the potted motor and it's all bare. any help, inputs, advise will be highly appreciated.

the light wiring will be an easy fix for me.

TIA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by vmaniqui; 01-13-2014 at 05:08 PM.

What your describing is extremely UNSAFE. There are lots of "How To's" out there or you can buy a "rebuilt" motor or take to a shop.

Jon

Follow Rain's blog. I agree with Jon.

I an not an expert, but if the exposed wires' rubber was so easily flaked off, then you can be sure that what is inside the motor is also in need of attention. Liquid rubber or electrical tape would not be safe at all. You really would run the risk of electrocution, running the machine with bare wires. I am sorry I am not much more specific help, but do listen to Jon. If you cannot do it yourself up to code, then do have someone do it properly. The price, otherwise, is too high! (i.e. a life.)

Good luck.
    -Cecilia. Tinkering more than stitching, really.

Agreed, you don't want a Singer toaster!
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
    Agreed, you don't want a Singer toaster!
    Ha ha ha. Totally true. Singer never made toaster yet and I don't want mine to be the first toaster product. Thanks guys. I will follow Rain's instructions and will just do it slowly. Just wanted to check with you guys if there's any option left but I guess it's Rain's way and nothing else. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
    Ha ha ha. Totally true. Singer never made toaster yet and I don't want mine to be the first toaster product. Thanks guys. I will follow Rain's instructions and will just do it slowly. Just wanted to check with you guys if there's any option left but I guess it's Rain's way and nothing else. Thanks again.
    All you have to do is replace the bad wire with good in a SAFE manner and service. This is a repair. Rain describes a restoration so the motor is like new.

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-13-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    All you have to do is replace the bad wire with good in a SAFE manner and service. This is a repair. Rain describes a restoration so the motor is like new.

Jon
    but the problem with this motor is, you need to remove everything to be able to have access to the two cords. so while you're doing it, you might as well clean the motor. i wish there's a simpler way to gain access to the 2 flaked wirings so that i can just replace it without taking out everything (motor and balance wheel).

but the problem with this motor is, you need to remove everything to be able to have access to the two cords. so while you're doing it, you might as well clean the motor. i wish there's a simpler way to gain access to the 2 flaked wirings so that i can just replace it without taking out everything (motor and balance wheel).
    Really, they're not bad. Take your time. It'll be okay... but if you find yourself having bare wire all the way to the windings, they get really close to the metal housing, and you'll need to be diligent with the heat shrink. I also applied some liquid tape, more to seal out corrosion and vibration leading to problems after I'm dead.
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"

Vic,

Here's a thread with pics I did when I rewired the potted motor on my 15-91:

{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t205360.html }

That motor was so bad it gave me the ebbie jebbies just sitting on my bench near an electrical plug.

Joe

Not much to remove. This is all basic essential stuff---I remove a potted motor to lube it. Even if the older wires APPEAR to be good the motor should be removed and examined as you never know what inside the cover looks like.

Jon
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-14-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks for the link Joe. These tutorials are well worth printing out and saving. I do and it helps to be able to have them right next to me or hubby when following them.

Vic, It gets easier the more you do it. Also try to enjoy the process, and not focus so hard on the end. It makes for a much more pleasant journey with each and every machine and table. I know this because I had to refocus and learned to do it this way. I move like a tortoise anyways...so it works for me.

I would just like to caution people that are doing these for resale or when you decide to resell one of your own. You can be held accountable in a court of law if your sold machine was found to be the source of fire/damage/ electrocution etc.

So as others have stated do everything the very best you can and always sell machines, equipment and supplies with disclaimers especially if you claim to have 'refurbished it' at that point you have now taken on responsibility of the machine to be in good working order, always add AS IS attached to it. It is just better to be safe and protect yourselves.
    Creativity needs focus and application...
    http://sewvintageuniqueboutique.blogspot.com/

thanks Jon, thanks Sunflowerzz and thanks everyone. i will do the right way but in a cautious pace so that it will be safe and make the wirings last for 100 more years.

Blog Entries
    I just got a 201-2, motor smoking, took it apart. the two thick wrapped wires that look like donuts (only way to describe and I'm drinking my morning coffee LOL) just crumbled. Have already found one on Ebay. But was wondering if I could wrap these or use the liquid wrap on these wires? Might not be any good? Thanks

the 2 big "donuts" are the armature windings. and if they've overheated, shorted out, they should NOT be used. The 2 wires that supply them are what usually looses their insulation though. you could have them checked by a motor rewinding shop. Otherwise replace them or the motor. make sure the insulation on the replacement motor is sound.
    Jim

Ha ha ha. Totally true. Singer never made toaster yet
    Maybe not a toaster... but how about this?

Name:  IMG_0819.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  261.4 KB
    No, I didn't buy it, they wanted too much money for it.

mmmm...toasty...cheesy...oops don't want greasy paw prints all over! :-D DRAT!
    Jim

Are you sure Singer doesn't make a toaster? Here's a Pop-up....

http://www.singerindia.net/ProductHome.aspx?id=44

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

oh sure...but when it goes haywire, does it stitch!
    I'd rather check out one of these (same page)
    http://www.singerindia.net/straight_Stich.aspx?id=1
    Jim