Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Potted Motor Wirings- Need HELP. >

Singer Potted Motor Wirings- Need HELP.

Singer Potted Motor Wirings- Need HELP.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Singer Potted Motor Wirings- Need HELP.

hi all,

i am trying to rewire a potted motor didn't realize that as soon as i dug deeper into the wirings, all the rubber covers/rubber wirings are all toasted and flaked easily. i am now down to the bare wirings that goes straight to the potted motor. is there any other way for me to fix it by not going the hard route of disassembling the potted motor. i see RAIN's blog about rewiring the POTTED MOTOR but quite frankly didn't want to venture into that. all i wanted to do is just to make it safe and usable. can it be done without going to the inside of the motor? can i just wrap it with electrical tape or use liquid tape and i will be good to go? as you can see from my picture, that is the wire that goes to the potted motor and it's all bare. any help, inputs, advise will be highly appreciated.

the light wiring will be an easy fix for me.

TIA.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-01-13-4.59.40-pm.png   screen-shot-2014-01-13-4.59.26-pm.png  

Last edited by vmaniqui; 01-13-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM

What your describing is extremely UNSAFE. There are lots of "How To's" out there or you can buy a "rebuilt" motor or take to a shop.

Jon
Old 01-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Follow Rain's blog. I agree with Jon.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM

I an not an expert, but if the exposed wires' rubber was so easily flaked off, then you can be sure that what is inside the motor is also in need of attention. Liquid rubber or electrical tape would not be safe at all. You really would run the risk of electrocution, running the machine with bare wires. I am sorry I am not much more specific help, but do listen to Jon. If you cannot do it yourself up to code, then do have someone do it properly. The price, otherwise, is too high! (i.e. a life.)

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Agreed, you don't want a Singer toaster!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Agreed, you don't want a Singer toaster!
Ha ha ha. Totally true. Singer never made toaster yet and I don't want mine to be the first toaster product. Thanks guys. I will follow Rain's instructions and will just do it slowly. Just wanted to check with you guys if there's any option left but I guess it's Rain's way and nothing else. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
Ha ha ha. Totally true. Singer never made toaster yet and I don't want mine to be the first toaster product. Thanks guys. I will follow Rain's instructions and will just do it slowly. Just wanted to check with you guys if there's any option left but I guess it's Rain's way and nothing else. Thanks again.
All you have to do is replace the bad wire with good in a SAFE manner and service. This is a repair. Rain describes a restoration so the motor is like new.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 01-13-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
All you have to do is replace the bad wire with good in a SAFE manner and service. This is a repair. Rain describes a restoration so the motor is like new.

Jon
but the problem with this motor is, you need to remove everything to be able to have access to the two cords. so while you're doing it, you might as well clean the motor. i wish there's a simpler way to gain access to the 2 flaked wirings so that i can just replace it without taking out everything (motor and balance wheel).
Old 01-14-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
but the problem with this motor is, you need to remove everything to be able to have access to the two cords. so while you're doing it, you might as well clean the motor. i wish there's a simpler way to gain access to the 2 flaked wirings so that i can just replace it without taking out everything (motor and balance wheel).
Really, they're not bad. Take your time. It'll be okay... but if you find yourself having bare wire all the way to the windings, they get really close to the metal housing, and you'll need to be diligent with the heat shrink. I also applied some liquid tape, more to seal out corrosion and vibration leading to problems after I'm dead.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Vic,

Here's a thread with pics I did when I rewired the potted motor on my 15-91:

{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t205360.html }

That motor was so bad it gave me the ebbie jebbies just sitting on my bench near an electrical plug.

Joe