Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Sewing Machine Appears 1 Digit Short Serial Number >

Singer Sewing Machine Appears 1 Digit Short Serial Number

Singer Sewing Machine Appears 1 Digit Short Serial Number

Old 02-26-2024, 09:46 AM

Question Singer Sewing Machine Appears 1 Digit Short Serial Number

Hi,

I have an older Singer machine which I think is around 100 years old, my issue is that my serial number doesn't appear exactly in any of the lists I've looked at (https://sewalot.com/dating_singer_se...ial_number.htm https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...l-numbers.html). I believe that the 'Y' Prefix shows it was made in Clydebank, Scotland. I have also ID'd the faceplate as a 99k Scroll (Simanco 33663) which would make the machine a 99K(K also meaning Scotland manufacture I believe) and I can get a rough idea based on similar numbers but would love to know for sure. My serial number is Y8084760 and the closest visual match I can see is a 99K - Photos attached.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails microsoftteams-image-59-.jpg   microsoftteams-image-58-.jpg   microsoftteams-image-57-.jpg   microsoftteams-image-56-.jpg  
Old 02-26-2024, 10:10 AM

August of 1930

https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...l-numbers.html
Old 02-26-2024, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by AlZilla View Post
What a Boob I am, all that time and I never realised they were from and to.... Thank you!
Old 02-26-2024, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by thorn312 View Post
What a Boob I am, all that time and I never realised they were from and to.... Thank you!
Oh, I see what your confusion was. You hadn't indicated the ISMACS site as one you had referenced. No biggie. People regularly mix up the 6 and 7 digit sections of the various lists, too.

The K in 99K does indeed indicate Scotland. I really like the 3/4 size machines, so enjoy that one. I'm envious of the hand crank, by the way. They fetch quite a premium so I grabbed an repro off Amazon but it rattles and clanks like a piece of junk.

Last edited by AlZilla; 02-26-2024 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlZilla View Post
...You hadn't indicated the ISMACS site as one you had referenced. ...
Actually, it was referenced but because there is only a single space between the two links it was hard to distinguish.
Nice little hand crank sewing machine.