Singer touch and sew 626 help

Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Singer touch and sew 626 help

Hi friends,
Hoping you can help me. Sadly one of our guild members passed away last month quite unexpectedly. I am trying to help her husband sell her machine and know nothing about it. He could not find a manual for it but I see there are some available on line. Is this a good machine? Do you think someone might want it (compared to a newer one)? It looks like it just does straight and zig-zagf stitch. I need to figure out how to wind the bobbin so I can show someone if they want to look at it. Any ideas, help or suggestions gladly accepted. thanks ever so much.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

When I had a Singer touch and sew my bobbin wound in the bobbin case. You pushed over the little switch with the red dot on it and it wound in place. I have no idea of the value but you could check eBay and see what they are going for.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 AM

http://sewingmanuals.blogspot.com/20...ual-touch.html

Look familiar? I still love mine!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 AM

We have one of these at the LQS where I work. To wind the bobbin, leave it in the bobbin case, push the white button in the front left corner of the bobbin area all the way down, wind the thread coming from the needle around the foot screw three times and hold firmly with your left hand. Very slowly push on the foot pedal and the thread will break (if it doesn't, then it will not wind the bobbin). Continue running the machine until the bobbin is full. Ta-da!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 AM

The 626 was my very first machine bought back in 1965 (I believe). I still have it. When I last checked with a sewing machine store, they said, "Don't ever get rid of it. It's that last machine Singer made with metal gears". Depending on condition, they're probably only worth $75. It's more valuable as a backup for you. Check for value on Vintage Sewing Machines.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM

Bonnyh, I also purchased mine in 1965 when I got my first job after h.s. graduation. I won't get rid of it cause it still works fine. It was limited to a few zz type stitches but very easy to use. If SandyinZ4 downloads that free instruction manual it will have a good section on how to wind the bobbin. I did like the way the bobbin stayed in the bobbin area when you wound it. Last Nov in Sun City AZ where I winter I found 2 bobbins for my 626 at a thrift store still in the original packaging for only $.50.

I made many clothes on that machine but as I said, it's a back up machine now. I did have to have it cleaned, adjusted, etc. back in the late 70s and they were trying to have me trade it in for a new machine! They only offered me $35 as a trade in. I think it was originally around $250 that I paid for it.

If this machine is in good condition the woman's husband is trying to sell it will be a good buy for someone to have as a back up machine.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks so much for the manual download link and all the good info. I know I will have to show any prospective buyer how to operate it (hubby has no knowledge of a sewing machine operation). I really appreciate all your help. I am just trying to help him out because his wife was a member of our guild and she died so suddenly that we are all still reeling from it. Quilty hugs to you all!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 AM

I inherited my mother's Golden Touch'n'Sew. She sewed on it many, many years, and it's the first machine I did a lot of sewing on before I was out on my own. Yes, the bobbin gets wound in the machine, and I have cams for many decorative stitches. The machine did need some repairs at one time, and thd fellow who did them told me that the Golden Touch'n'Sew is the best machine Singer ever made. I agree! Too bad it isn't portable!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:28 PM

I have one I bought in the 60's also and it is still working although my husband replaced several of the gears years ago. It's more of a back up for my 30+yr old Pfaff which so far is running great too. I made tons of clothes with it for all of my family. I have been told "touch and sew" machines are a pain in the neck and not very good but I have not found that to be true. Good luck!