Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6 >

Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6

Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6

Old 05-28-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Singer Treadle Machine cabinet #6

This may have been answered before, but I couldn't find anything in archives that specifically answered my question. I hope that I can get a little guidance on my question. I have what I believe is a Singer #6 cabinet, with a Singer 115 head. The cabinet is in great shape with seven drawers, was refinished many years ago (before I owned it). I don't like to treadle. Just have never got the hang of it and gave up trying. I would love to put another machine head in the cabinet that uses electricity. I have looked on the Internet at different machines that I might want to use. However, I can't find any information on what other Singer machine heads would work in that specific cabinet other than treadle heads. Is there information that would help me figure out what other machine would fit in the cabinet. I know that I would have to disengage treadle items and place the foot control in a good location. Can someone please provide help in determining which machine would work or where I can find a list, etc.

TIA
Mel
Old 05-29-2017, 02:34 AM

I have a cabinet similar to that except it is a 5-drawer not 7. I have an electrified 66 head that I am planning to install in the cabinet. The machine needs work yet but it does fit in the cabinet. If you like, PM me and I can take some measurements if that will help you. You could also jump over to http://www.victoriansweatshop.com and someone over there might be better able to answer your question.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:00 AM

It's not always easy to take off the treadle parts and still have a stable cabinet. The rods, nuts and washers mess up the stabiltiy when they are not in place. There's usually ways about it though. If it's a very nice machine and cabinet, all original and goes very well together you might consider getting an electrical machine in a cabinet made for the purpose in stead. On the other hand a 115 should easily convert to motor and lights, I think this model was made for it. If it has the fitting for the hand crank/motor bracket under the hand wheel it is (a treaded hole for a bolt).
Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I have a cabinet similar to that except it is a 5-drawer not 7. I have an electrified 66 head that I am planning to install in the cabinet. The machine needs work yet but it does fit in the cabinet. If you like, PM me and I can take some measurements if that will help you. You could also jump over to http://www.victoriansweatshop.com and someone over there might be better able to answer your question.
I was told the machine head was a 115, I looked up the Singer number and found that it is a 1910 66-1. My new questions are "does just any 66 fit into the cabinet?" There are several I have found on the Internet with different second numbers, i.e. 16-18, etc. And, if I find one that is a portable base, will that work in the cabinet? I know many of you on this forum are well informed on vintage cabinets and machines, just hoping to get some direction as I am clueless!

Thanks
Mel
Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 AM

A 115 is rather a fine machine and few would replace it with just any other straight stitcher (because of it's rotary hook and race, runs smoother and less prone to vibrations). You have to search quite a bit to find a 115, but 66 machines comes in plenty. It's rather a fine machine too though, with the drop-in bobbin case. If the machine in your table is in nice condition there's no need to replace it, at least not the same model. Just get a motor and light setup, you can even get an original Singer motor. These models were made to be converted.

The subnumbers on the early 66 machines indicate either treadle, hand crank or electrical motor. Later on it was given a stitch length lever with backtack, and I think that's the 66-18. By then hand cranks and treadles sold were few and far between, and I have only seen them with original motor and light setup.

The base on model 15, 66 and 201 are the same. I think it's the same on 115 and 101 too. The very early 66 might have different hinges in the back, the earliest I have seen have dated to 1920 or a few years before (it was introduced in 1900). I know some very early 15s have different hinges in the back of the base, but it's a much older model.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-30-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crowmel View Post
I was told the machine head was a 115, I looked up the Singer number and found that it is a 1910 66-1. My new questions are "does just any 66 fit into the cabinet?" There are several I have found on the Internet with different second numbers, i.e. 16-18, etc. And, if I find one that is a portable base, will that work in the cabinet? I know many of you on this forum are well informed on vintage cabinets and machines, just hoping to get some direction as I am clueless!

Thanks
Mel
If you post a picture we can tell you for sure what model it is.

Cari
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM

I found a blog post on a converted 66. It's hard to tell if it was a treadle or a hand cran, but at least either of the two because of the spoked hand wheel. The motor and light setup is ideal for this model. The motor bracket goes on with out any bothersome issues as well as the correct size v-belt for the hand wheel. Machines who originally were sold as electric had a smaller size hand wheel, and some had this type of hand wheel fitted if converted. The spoked hand wheel works fine with the motor, I have the spoked hand wheel on my 201K and it's electric too.

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-30-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I found a blog post on a converted 66. It's hard to tell if it was a treadle or a hand cran, but at least either of the two because of the spoked hand wheel. .
See attached pictures of the setup. I am not looking to do anything with the existing machine head. It has a lot of rust and really is aesthetically ugly. Would like to put in an electric machine that I can get some use from time to time. The cabinet is really in nice shape. I am in the process of building a sewing studio and would like to put the cabinet and a useable machine in the new studio. If I can't find a machine to use the cabinet, I have to rethink keeping it. Thanks for all the help!

Mel
Attached Thumbnails pic-1.jpg   pic2.jpg  
Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 AM

It could very well be a 115, every thing looks right. The exterior is identical to an early type 15, except for the race and hook where the bobbin case goes. If you turn the hand wheel and watch the part near the bobbin case, does it turn round and round, or back and forth? That is the difference, and they take different bobbins as well. Decals are worn, but it will clean up if you want to. I understand you want a nice looking machine and that can be done. The 115 is so rare where I live, I would clean it up, touch up the black japanning and live with the worn decals. If the chrome is flaking on the neelde and bobbin plate I would replace them. Someone will happily releave you of the machine head.

If you can post a picture of the hinges in the back someone might know about them. You can't really have a portable base for this cabinet, it's made to turn over and into the compartment, sort of hinged-in permanentley. In theory any 15, 66, 201 should fit in there, but double check the hinges. I can't see any in the pics?

What is the serial number?

Last edited by Mickey2; 05-30-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM

The singer number is G7831773 and see attached for pictures of hinges..

Mel
Attached Thumbnails pic-3.jpg   pic-4.jpg