So I sold the Tan 201k today

Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM

Default So I sold the Tan 201k today

I posted the Tan Singer 201k that I found at a local thrift shop for $60 on Kijiji, it sold right away for that price. I originally posted it at $120 with no bites, then I knocked the price down to $80 with no bites, but the day I put it down to $60 I started to get calls and emails.

Things I learned from this experience; too few people in my area appreciate these machines enough to buy them for any more than $60. If I want to continue to buy vintage machines, clean them up and then resell them, I won't make a dime for all the time put into cleaning and servicing. So, you basically have to get them for nothing in order to make any cash at all. It seems like not a good way to make extra money unless you have nothing but time and money to spend on these.

I'm not jaded, just realistic now about what is doable in my area. I had a lot more success selling the black model 15 in the walnut cabinet for $80.

So rule #1- you have to get the machine for nothing in order to make it even remotely worth reselling.
rule #2- don't put any money into it for parts and minimal time and effort for cleaning.
rule #3 - don't expect to get much return for your effort, people don't want to pay much money for them. And who can blame them, I don't want to spend much money on them either. But I still love them. Especially those Singers.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 PM

sounds like the business of refurbishing vintage machines has the same rules as making quilts as a business....
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 PM

I try to buy machines for under $25, so I have some room to play with and still sell them at a reasonable price.
I don't buy machines that require a lot of work, so they usually just need to be cleaned and oiled/greased.
I also generally stick to names that people know, like Singer and Kenmore.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Redsquirrel View Post
I posted the Tan Singer 201k that I found at a local thrift shop for $60 on Kijiji, it sold right away for that price. I originally posted it at $120 with no bites, then I knocked the price down to $80 with no bites, but the day I put it down to $60 I started to get calls and emails.
I'm still blown away that you sold the machine that you absolutely loved! I hope you have another 201 somewhere. When I sold my tan 201, not only did I have two black ones, but bought another tan one within the week.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 AM

If I want to continue to buy vintage machines, clean them up and then resell them, I won't make a dime for all the time put into cleaning and servicing.
This is what I quickly found. Now I'm a collector instead of buyer or seller, collecting only challenges or interesting items. I've decided not to give my machines away. Am bordering on hoarding.

Last edited by Vridar; 10-10-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-10-2013, 05:01 AM

Things I learned from this experience; too few people in my area appreciate these machines enough to buy them for any more than $60. If I want to continue to buy vintage machines, clean them up and then resell them, I won't make a dime for all the time put into cleaning and servicing. So, you basically have to get them for nothing in order to make any cash at all. It seems like not a good way to make extra money unless you have nothing but time and money to spend on these.

I'm not jaded, just realistic now about what is doable in my area. I had a lot more success selling the black model 15 in the walnut cabinet for $80.

So rule #1- you have to get the machine for nothing in order to make it even remotely worth reselling.
rule #2- don't put any money into it for parts and minimal time and effort for cleaning.
rule #3 - don't expect to get much return for your effort, people don't want to pay much money for them. And who can blame them, I don't want to spend much money on them either. But I still love them. Especially those Singers.
I totally agree with you on this and I also dearly love the old Singers. I have sold three in which I made a little money but I got them for nearly nothing. I got a little black Spartan for $10 and sold for $80 (one of my better deals), I got a brother for $7, sold for $25, got a 201 for $30, sold for $85 but these are definitely an exception to the rule. Mostly I buy the machines because I love them and not to resell them. I am currently looking for an acqua colored machine. I just recently acquired a pink/grey brother, a blue sewmor, and a beautiful green Spartan. I will post pictures of the Spartan when I get them off the camera.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
This is what I quickly found. Now I'm a collector instead of buyer or seller, collecting only challenges or interesting items. I've decided not to give my machines away. Am bordering on hoarding.
I just might be considered a hoarder myself as I also have quite a collection, all of which I just love and can't seem to part with.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 AM

You sold it already??? I sure wish I was closer. I would have loved that machine. But, it's good to hear your opinions on buying and selling. I only buy machines I want and don't have multiples (except FWs, I have 4 of those). I guess I'll continue getting only the ones I don't have.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:21 AM

I honestly do not think there is any money to be made in selling these things... it takes so much to clean, de-gunk, tinker... am I wrong? I must be wrong, for it seems as though some (Miriam and Joe I think) do make coin at this - but it seems to me that for the most part, you really have to just love doing it, and if you happen to break even, or not lose too much, then so much the better!

I have not sold any machines. I don't think I could just buy something and flip it. It's just not my personality to do so. The closest I have come to that is that I have found a teenage girl to give one of my machines to once I restore it. She is going to choose between the 99k and a 1924 Vinnie. :-) I had fun tinkering, and she gets a special machine. I'm too much of an amateur to consider charging for anything. :-)

That said, I am interested to know what others do! Do most people here just buy and keep? Buy and flip? Buy and fix and sell? Does anyone make a living at it, or is it more of a hobby-which-pays for itself? (I don't mean any insult by that question! I just genuinely have no idea.)
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 AM

To make any money you do have to buy cheap and sell as high as the buyers will allow. So far I've sold all I've put on Craig's List, but I can't say I've made a real profit on all of them. And the three I've got on there now haven't sold. Some nibbles, but only from those who want something for nothing.

I may end up keeping more than I sell due to the buyers lack of interest in the old(er) machines. I could sell all the plastic junque machines I could make run, but sadly people just don't seem to have much interest in the real solid old machines.

And the economy has a lot to do with it. Central IL is a very economically depressed area. There isn't much employment that pays enough for people to have disposable income around here.

Joe