Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
So much for making money ..... >

So much for making money .....

So much for making money .....

Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Joe, why do you think women pick good men like you?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM

I have one just like it, also have a sister to her 401 A ,the shape of the top part of the head is the only difference I can see in the 2. both still sew , both need a complete cleaning is all I can find wrong. The 401 A I bought new in 1959, it has sewn millions of stitches, the 501 A I sort of fell keeper of, it was left in a rental house of mine. both are in their original cabinets.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM

We have a weird track record here. The machine's we've gotten free or traded into have sold. Those we've paid money for, haven't.

We got this machine free and figured we'd clean it up and flip it. We had no idea what machine it was until we got it. Now, like our pollydactyl kitty, it has adopted us.

Joe
Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Joe, What did you expect your wife to do with a machine that, as it says on the cover of the manual, is "The Greatest Sewing Machine Ever Built"???

Tate
Old 07-02-2013, 02:07 AM

Joe, I'm in no way condemning you for wanting to sell some machines, we all do it eventually, be careful about getting them from Freecycle and reselling them too quickly. They frown on that and will ban you from Freecycle. It is in the TOS about selling stuff.
Nice machine and she was smart for adopting it. You could do what most wives do when the toy collection gets to big - make her give one up to keep that one. At your own peril, of course
Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 AM

I bought this same machine at a thrift store for $25. Even came in the cabinet (looks like a desk). I was going to fix it & give to a friend for her DGD but it came with all the attachments (still in the box) & manual and after cleaning it & adjusting the tension, it sews beautifully! So that changed my plan.
This baby is going to my daughters so I don't have to carry a machine each time I visit & the friend gets the babylock I had down there that is just basic. Also I'm hoping my DD will take an interest in playing with it.
Congratulations on the new baby : )