Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Someone offered me a featherweight...

Blog Entries
    Congrats, you deserve it. Got mine last friday, need time to ck it all out.
    everyone here talked me into her. She was born dec5,1939 and luckily, doesnt smell at all.
    her case is in excellent condition and all of her accessories are thee. The only problem,
    She birds nests, but someone here pointed me in the right direction to get her fixed up and running
    i got her for $240.00 down from$275. No tax
    I hope you have many years with her.

Blog Entries
    Buy it! you will be happy.

i cant wait till tomorrow! There are other things i SHOULD be doing and all i can do is browse around the internet looking at antique sewing machines... i SO have the bug.
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle; Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight; my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758; Brother XR 6060
    1910 Singer 66; Singer 99K Shadow, 1929 Singer 128 (currently w/hand crank)

I too, live in SW Fl. but I have never run across a FW here in any of the local antique shops or flea markets, but we are new here and haven't been to all places. Did get a Singer redeye 66 at Bonita Springs lately and really love it. It joined the vintage 99 and FW I had here. I sure wouldn't pass on it if I were you. Easy to fix up and lovely to use. Enjoy!
    with a passion for quilting and vintage machines..Singers: 99, 4 featherweights, Redeye 66, Lotus 66, Phoenix 27, 15-91, 301A
    Colleen S.

if your looking for a featherweight check out Gannon's antique's on 41 in between fort myers and naples! (it's across the street from a large goodwill) i find their prices pretty reasonable and they just put some featherweights out in the 275-375 bracket. i called to gauge prices for this one that was offered to me. I CANT wait to go see it tomorrow and most likely bring it home!
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle; Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight; my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758; Brother XR 6060

Blog Entries
    I would love to see a picture of your Willcox and Gibbs. I have one too. The oldest copyright date on it is 1863. It's original, never been refinished. I have the book but no key!
    Happy Quilting
    Love in Christ
    Suzi

Tennessee Suzy, if you click on my user name a little menu pops up. Click where it says all started threads and you be able to find my post on my dear Eleanor! I am very proud of her. I'm sure you love yours too!

Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
    ...for 250. Complete with case, accessories. He told me it belonged to his great grandmother and she rarely/never used it. Then it sat in his closet ever since. He said that another family member took her cabinet. (i assume after g.grandma passed) It looks to be in nice condition from the pics he showed me. He said it runs and smells like the original oil? Is this a good thing? (I'm most concerned by that comment.)

My local antique shop says they have them between 275-375 depending on condition and accessories. And there is one on Craigslist listed as mint for 850! I did see some listed on the evil bay for 150 and up but convience of no shipping and fear of breaking makes me less inclined to save a buck. Besides this is the originally family.

Good bad? What do you guys think? Did I mention it's my birthday Saturday?
    The oil pad on the underside of the FW probably needs replacing & that is probably where the smell comes from.
    I just used the old pad as a pattern & cut one out from some felt that I had here - worked for me. Happy Birthday to you & what a nice b'day gift !
    Dance like no one is watching

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    One quick reminder, A couple of times I have had thread to catch in the bobbin case area, and have had to take that section apart. There is a tiny and I mean tiny screw that holds the bobbin section together. I have a small plastic cup like those on the top of cough syrup or dayquil bottles that I keep in my case just for this tiny screw, to keep from losing it. I also place my featherweights on a towel when I get ready to service them, and this helps to keep the screws from rolling off of the table.
    I put my machines on a puppy pad when I work on them. Like you said, it catches small pieces and it also catches all the oil, dirt, etc. and I don't have to wash the towel -- since I seem to manage to put them in the laundry with items that don't need to be next to oil!

happy birthday! did you get it? i've been hoping for you that it hasn't already sold before you got there.

I'm going to see it after work! So soon!!

We're all waiting to hear how it went. I'm hoping you just got yourself a nice birthday present!

Happy Birthday! Good luck with the Fw. great little machine

That's a pretty fair price if in nice condition. My black one I got from Ebay for $250 including shipping. The white one off CL for $80. Both is nice condition. Go for it

Thanks for all the luck! she's wonderful.

I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I did! i did! i just oiled her up today!! Cant wait to get a bobbin in so i can test her out!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2