Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Standard treadle owner needing knowledge - Help! >

Standard treadle owner needing knowledge - Help!

Standard treadle owner needing knowledge - Help!

Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the help Diamondrose. I think your correct. Will need a parts machine.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 AM

Default Serial number vs YEAR made " Standard Rotary"

Originally Posted by HiDesertQuilter View Post
I just became the proud owner of a very unappreciated Standard Sewing Machine slim line treadle head manufactured in Cleveland, Ohio. We were told she would only be good for a boat anchor or flowerbed ornament. I jabbed my husband and told him to fork over the $10 it cost to bring her home. He parted with the money and practically danced to the car. He likes old machines as well as I do!
The poor thing was almost completely froze up but now runs like a top with a couple of minor things needed. I can even see the ornate decals now that my husband and I cleaned her up. I don't know exactly what year the old girl was born. The serial number is 58676. I know the company was in business from 1885 thru about ?1929-31? then was sold to Singer. Does anyone out there know what size bobbin goes in this machine? It takes a round bobbin for this is not a shuttle. Also I am on the lookout for a faceplate. That is missing.

I found one too a Habitat for Humanity store as a doorstop! After soaking its sewing
AMAZING manufaturing~!!
I m not sure, does it sew in reverse? Manual would help.
Did you figure what year yours is by serial number?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM

From what I have read is that this machine is the only one that the hand wheel turns away from you when sewing forward. I don't know if it will sew in reverse. Mine was made in 1887. No. 58676. I'm told this year is too old for a spider attachment to fit it in order to sew chain stitch so I need to find a bobbin and bobbin case for it. What year is yours and do you have a bobbin and bobbin case?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Hello Diamondrose, I just acquired the same machine and was wondering if I may get a copy of the manual as well. The one I have is going to be a silent auction item at our charity quilt table at our High Point Quilt Guild's vendor show in August, and I would love to be able to give the manual with the machine. The charity benefits the Hayworth Cancer Center where we make quilts to give to all the cancer patients. I would be willing to pay for it just let me know how much. Please contact me at [email protected] Thank you so much
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 AM

I have just inherited my grandmother's 1887 Standard. Would your manual work for this machine? If so, could you send me a copy?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM

I bought one also for $20.00 It needed cleaning but is a beautiful machine .now I need a manual . is a model Rand is a bobbin machine also likes yours.... so if you have a manual for it would be nice if you can tell me where you got it.Thanks Debbie Kelly [email protected]