Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
(Sterchi Special) vibrating shuttle >

(Sterchi Special) vibrating shuttle

(Sterchi Special) vibrating shuttle

Old 01-29-2020, 04:49 PM

Default (Sterchi Special) vibrating shuttle

I bought this machine today from facebook marketplace. Can anyone help identify the manufacturer? It says "Sterchi Special" on the back of the machine. Sterchi Brothers was a furniture store in Knoxville TN, founded in 1888. Thats all I have so far. It does have one bobbin and shuttle but no needle. Fingers crossed it takes a 15X1. Thanks for any info.
Attached Thumbnails sterchi-special.jpg   sterchi-decal.jpg  
Old 01-29-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dressmaker View Post
... It does have one bobbin and shuttle but no needle. Fingers crossed it takes a 15X1. Thanks for any info.
What do the bobbin and shuttle look like?

I'm going to guess the shuttle will look something like https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...tique-sewing-1 and the bobbin looks like https://www.bonanza.com/items/like/5...uttle-Case-432

I'm going to guess it might be an A G Mason made by White. If I'm correct, there is a pretty good possibility that it would take a 20x1, but a 15x1 may be dropped some and work.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-29-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: add'l thought
Old 01-29-2020, 08:19 PM

Janey & John Thank you for your response. The shuttle is still in the machine. The slide plates are rusted shut. When I get it out I'll post some pictures.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:03 AM

Another way to tell from a picture is if you can see the little peg in the bobbin winder - that would fit into the tube of the bobbin. There were only a few companies that had hollow bobbins, White being the most common (by a long shot). This machine looks very similar to my AG Mason (made by White). Mine does take the same bobbins, needles and attachments as the other White VS machines.

Some of the identifiers for White - hollow bobbin (and shuttle / winder with the peg) Rectangular needle plate (Davis also has this) Belt on the inside of the flywheel (Davis is usually outside).

I think White is another (along with Singer) that didn't use the top tension (leaf style).

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2020 at 02:02 PM. Reason: pics hosted offsite are not permitted
Old 01-30-2020, 08:13 AM

if you don't get the slides to move after soaking and jiggling for a few days. I have found that using a wooden chopstick as a gentle punch can be useful.