Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sticking my toe in the waters of Vintage Sewing Machines >

Sticking my toe in the waters of Vintage Sewing Machines

Sticking my toe in the waters of Vintage Sewing Machines

Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Worked on the New Home machine over the weekend. Removed the rod that's locked up and now it's moving so smoothly...the bushing on the rod is still locked up, but it's soaking and hopefully it will loosen up so I can try to put it back together. It's amazing that everything else moves the way it does...again, waiting patiently.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 AM

Aw! I missed the pic of your DD that you posted on the 11th! Look how cute she is, and how proud!! Rightfully so, she did a great job!

Good luck with your New Home....I have faith in ya!!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
Worked on the New Home machine over the weekend. Removed the rod that's locked up and now it's moving so smoothly...the bushing on the rod is still locked up, but it's soaking and hopefully it will loosen up so I can try to put it back together. It's amazing that everything else moves the way it does...again, waiting patiently.
I have a New Home like yours but mine is motorized. It has the same "locked up" problem. So it is sitting alongside the other problem children waiting for attention.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
You're standing on a mightly slippery band whilst dipping that toe!

(Psssssstttttt! Glenda is lying when she says we'll toss you a lift ring! We will however, cheer you on! )
Now shes in the same boat we are
Old 07-24-2012, 05:42 AM

I was just so proud of myself for isolating the problem part. I actually feel like there's hope for this one. Right now the treadle spins almost silently, the machine...without the problem rod...spins perfectly...and the wheel does turn to the rear instead of the front like the other treadle...as someone here warned me...now, just to find a bobbin and bobbin case. I have my eye on a donor machine on CL...he he he. It's not as pretty as mine, but if it has the same innards, it could work, right?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Aw! I missed the pic of your DD that you posted on the 11th! Look how cute she is, and how proud!! Rightfully so, she did a great job!

Good luck with your New Home....I have faith in ya!!
Thanks Charlee...she loves that quilt. I quilted it on the long-arm for her. Crazy, but I think I was done with it by the following afternoon. (Don't tell anyone, but I used a old mattress pad for the batting...she loves how thick and heavy it is...)
Old 07-27-2012, 08:50 PM

Default OOps I did it again!

My friend, on hearing me go on and on about treadle sewing machines, found another one for me on CL. $25. A White Rotary in a parlor cabinet...the cabinet fell apart as he and the seller were loading it into his truck. It's a dirty bugger, but it came with lots of attachments, a book, tools, etc. So, now there are 3 lined up in my garage in various states. My girls and I counted today...I think I'm up to 12. He's definitely an enabler. So, this poor fallen apart parlor cabinet...he thinks it should be easy enough to fix, but I'm not so sure. Wondering, if I want to try it out, should I be able to put it into a different cabinet? I suppose it depends on where the holes are drilled and the size of the base. Right now it's a bit of a dirty, linty mess, but everything seems to move.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Keep it up and you will soon have more than those twelve. I purchased my first vintage machine in July 2011. I now have over sixty. If your friend thinks he can save the parlor cabinet and is handy at woodworking, why don't you have him make you box to mount the head in so you can clean it and at least get it in working condition.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Keep it up and you will soon have more than those twelve. I purchased my first vintage machine in July 2011. I now have over sixty. If your friend thinks he can save the parlor cabinet and is handy at woodworking, why don't you have him make you box to mount the head in so you can clean it and at least get it in working condition.
Oh no, he thinks it will be good experience for me to fix it up myself...Gee thanks. Right now I have it out of the cabinet and on a table so I can get to all the dirty insides.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb View Post
It's free! Now for some polishing...oh, and trying to remember how to put it back together!