Stiff Treadle

Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM

It sure is...I just can't figure out why my beast does reverse on its own? Sometimes...maybe I am treadling work..and can't figure out stitch length...but I am getting there!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Treadling and suddenly finding going backwards is due to your feet position and lack of rhythm. When the machine gets really free from cleaning and oiling it will reduce this. But you have to develop a rhythm while treadling and that means a smooth rocking motion past the top and bottom dead center of the pitman arm to keep the wheel turning. It's harder to do going slow than fast, but you'll get there.

What I did on my treadles was make an index mark on the stitch length knob with a Sharpie, then turn it all the way in and sew a length. Mark the fabric. Then turn it 1/2 turn out, sew a length and mark it. And so on till it quit feeding the fabric.
Then I used a magnifying glass and counted the stitches and marked that on the fabric with a Sharpie. It's not precise and it's a pain in the butt, however it does work.

Joe
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM

I usually us the same stitch size for all my piecing - so the goal is to find that and then I won't touch it. Think I figured the treadle out. Thanks for the explanation. If I kinda guide the wheel in the direction I want and let my feet take over - it sews a beautiful SS. Now if my ADHD kicks in I can bounce from 1 machine to another when I sew
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 PM

OH LORD, don't mention ADHD .... I once took care of an 8 year old girl with that and she about killed me. I think she could out bounce, fidget, and squirm a Mexican jumping bean on steroids. Loved that little gal, and last I heard she's growing out of it a bit. But oh man what a hand full.

I think ...... oh wait, that gives me a headache ..... I once made a stitch chart on my #1 66 treadle ..... I'll go find it ..... don't go anywhere ......
OK, I'm back, you still there?

With the knob all the way in I got 7 1/2 stitches per inch
One turn out was 8 1/2 SPI
Two turns out was 9 1/2 SPI
2 1/2 turns out was 11 SPI
3 turns out was 12 SPI
4 turns out was 15 SPI
5 turns out was 20 SPI
6 turns out was 28 SPI
7 turns out was 49 SPI
and at 7.5 turns out it quit feeding.

How that will equate to your machine I don't know. But it's something to check out.

Joe
Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM

Joe,

What a wonderful chart!! It will be very useful.
I just measured my 99 from 1922. It is different than the 66.
all the way in= 6 stitches/ inch
one turn= 7 1/2 stitches/ inch
2 turns= 9 1/2 stitches/ inch
3 turns= 12 stitches/ inch
4 turns= 18 stitches/ inch
5 turns= stitches too close together to count

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OH LORD, don't mention ADHD .... I once took care of an 8 year old girl with that and she about killed me. I think she could out bounce, fidget, and squirm a Mexican jumping bean on steroids. Loved that little gal, and last I heard she's growing out of it a bit. But oh man what a hand full.

I think ...... oh wait, that gives me a headache ..... I once made a stitch chart on my #1 66 treadle ..... I'll go find it ..... don't go anywhere ......
OK, I'm back, you still there?

With the knob all the way in I got 7 1/2 stitches per inch
One turn out was 8 1/2 SPI
Two turns out was 9 1/2 SPI
2 1/2 turns out was 11 SPI
3 turns out was 12 SPI
4 turns out was 15 SPI
5 turns out was 20 SPI
6 turns out was 28 SPI
7 turns out was 49 SPI
and at 7.5 turns out it quit feeding.

How that will equate to your machine I don't know. But it's something to check out.

Joe
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 PM

Cathy,

I've done a couple other machines like this, but not as complete, and they vary too. I should do one with my 127 and maybe my 66-1 just to see what I find out.

Joe
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Joe,

Great idea. I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cathy,

I've done a couple other machines like this, but not as complete, and they vary too. I should do one with my 127 and maybe my 66-1 just to see what I find out.

Joe