Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Still Having Some Trouble, Singer 66 >

Still Having Some Trouble, Singer 66

Still Having Some Trouble, Singer 66

Old 01-24-2015, 02:11 PM

Default Still Having Some Trouble, Singer 66

I can sew straight lines with no trouble but when I FMQ the top thread continues to break. At one point I switched to a metal bobbin and things got better for a while but now is worse again. In doing some research I've found some comments that using too large of a thread spool can cause problems. I was using a 1000M spool so I switched to a 500M spool (maybe this is still too big? ) and it still happens. Should I try a thread stand? I also read that having the bobbin full can cause problems and to only fill it 2/3 full. I do notice that right before the thread breaks I hear a clanking nose in the bobbin area and the upper spool suddenly spins a couple of times causing slack between the spool and the first thread guide and it sometimes winds around the spool pin under the thread spool. The thread breaks at the final thread guide on the faceplate just before it goes down into the needle. Any help or ideas on things to try would be greatly appreciated! I've tried all the usual, lots of different kinds of needles, getting the tension just right, etc. I'm using Gutermann thread.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:57 PM

yes use a thread stand the spool you are using are way to big to put on the machine. from what you wrote, the breaking is from the spool hanging up.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
yes use a thread stand the spool you are using are way to big to put on the machine. from what you wrote, the breaking is from the spool hanging up.
You beat me posting. That's what my first thought is too, symptoms are exactly what happened to me with my first embroidery machine. After the first few times it happened, I got to where I could hear it from the bobbin case when the thread was gonna break. It was in fact the thread was breaking when the spool jerked and the thread wrapped around the spool pin. Didn't matter whether I was using the horizontal or the vertical spool pin. Putting the spool in a cup behind the machine until I got a thread stand solved all my thread problems.

Cari
Old 01-24-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
You beat me posting. That's what my first thought is too, symptoms are exactly what happened to me with my first embroidery machine. After the first few times it happened, I got to where I could hear it from the bobbin case when the thread was gonna break. It was in fact the thread was breaking when the spool jerked and the thread wrapped around the spool pin. Didn't matter whether I was using the horizontal or the vertical spool pin. Putting the spool in a cup behind the machine until I got a thread stand solved all my thread problems.

Cari
Thank you so much to both of you! I'm going to try the cup right now.