Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
SUCCESS!!!!  I am treading Mizz Zilla! >

SUCCESS!!!! I am treading Mizz Zilla!

SUCCESS!!!! I am treading Mizz Zilla!

Old 04-12-2014, 05:51 AM

I acquired an old treadle years ago. The belt was broken, so I bought a new one and installed it. I tried it out, but quickly gave up. The belt slips, which I assume means that it is not tight enough. Any tips on this? Also, I thought it was hard to get a smooth treadle motion going. Suggestions?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

She's a beauty!
Old 04-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by lindadee View Post
I acquired an old treadle years ago. The belt was broken, so I bought a new one and installed it. I tried it out, but quickly gave up. The belt slips, which I assume means that it is not tight enough. Any tips on this? Also, I thought it was hard to get a smooth treadle motion going. Suggestions?
Lindadee, this thread is a great lesson in not giving up. First....good for you, getting the belt on is sometimes the most challenging part for a beginner! If your belt is slipping, maybe your machine needs a bit of oil. Can you hand turn it with ease! If not, then be sure and oil every oiling spot and "hand run" it till you get a smooth motion, then put the belt back in place and try again.
Treadling takes practice....but really not a lot. One can get the hang of it pretty quickly. Place one foot on the platform ahead of the other...as if in a stepping motion. Use your hand on the balance wheel to ensure it turns in the right direction (most commonly towards you) as you begin to see saw your feet. Use your feet independently....one to push down the area closest to you and the other foot to push down away from you. I hope this makes sense. There are many on this forum who I am sure can explain it much better. Really only a few times is all it takes.

Last edited by Cogito; 04-12-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Thanks, Cogito, for taking the time to share your tips I will see if I have missed any places that may need oil and then I will give treadling another try. BTW, I am in Iowa, too. Small world
Old 04-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by lindadee View Post
Lindadee,
You need to shorten the belt, just a 1/4" at a time. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to cut the belt, squeeze the belt with the pliers to make it flatter so it won't roll when you try to put the hole in it. I use a small nail to put a new hole in the belt, use a small block of wood to pound the nail into the belt; so you don't damage your cabinet. I use two clothespins to hold the belt so it doesn't slip into under the cabinet, reinstall the belt staple.
Sharon
Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
Lindadee,
You need to shorten the belt, just a 1/4" at a time. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to cut the belt, squeeze the belt with the pliers to make it flatter so it won't roll when you try to put the hole in it. I use a small nail to put a new hole in the belt, use a small block of wood to pound the nail into the belt; so you don't damage your cabinet. I use two clothespins to hold the belt so it doesn't slip into under the cabinet, reinstall the belt staple.
Sharon
Thanks so much, Sharon! Very helpful info
Linda
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Lindadee, this thread is a great lesson in not giving up. First....good for you, getting the belt on is sometimes the most challenging part for a beginner! If your belt is slipping, maybe your machine needs a bit of oil. Can you hand turn it with ease! If not, then be sure and oil every oiling spot and "hand run" it till you get a smooth motion, then put the belt back in place and try again.
Treadling takes practice....but really not a lot. One can get the hang of it pretty quickly. Place one foot on the platform ahead of the other...as if in a stepping motion. Use your hand on the balance wheel to ensure it turns in the right direction (most commonly towards you) as you begin to see saw your feet. Use your feet independently....one to push down the area closest to you and the other foot to push down away from you. I hope this makes sense. There are many on this forum who I am sure can explain it much better. Really only a few times is all it takes.
If you can't seem to get treadling w/one foot in front of the other try putting them side by side or even just using one foot. I started using my left foot only but switched to using both side by side, didn't wear out so fast, however my dd still only uses one foot, she can't seem to get use to using two. Just try all different ways until you figure out what feels right to you. You can put a piece of paper under the presser foot w/out a needle, or with, and practice treadling to make sure you have it going the right way. It is very easy to treadle away, with nothing under the foot, only to find it is going backwards when you put something under the needle! Putting paper or fabric under w/out a needle lets you make sure it is going the right way.

Treadling is fun once you get the hang of it, and you burn calories too .

Jp
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips! You all are so helpful
Linda