Tension Issue

Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 AM

Default Tension Issue

I hope some of you can help me. My SIL in Oklahoma has our grandmothers Neccehi sewing machine. They've had it to a machine repairman, but the problem with the tension still remains. So, I told her I'd post it here and see if any of you enthusiasts out there can help. According to her, the machine will sew fine for awhile, then suddenly the tension knob loosens and everything is messed up. I asked her to send a pic of the machine, but forgot the model number. Anyway, here's a pic of it
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
According to her, the machine will sew fine for awhile, then suddenly the tension knob loosens and everything is messed up. I asked her to send a pic of the machine, but forgot the model number.
It's a Supernova of some description (SN, SN II or Julia). It's not like the Singer system, the tension mechanism is spring loaded so I'd start by testing if it's sprung by pulling it out and when let go, see if it goes back easily and smoothly. If it doesn't, lube it but be really careful not to get oil on tension discs or the mechanism will have to be disassembled to get rid of it.
This machine is on my top three best machines I've ever used, and well worth fixing. I'd suggest your SIL join the yahoo group too: They have files, expertise and a lot of Necchi people in the same place. You may have inspired me to go fix mine now - I stupidly pulled the electrical block apart without sufficiently detailed pictures to put it back together. The block is unique to 220/240 systems
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm curious about this

My first thought was some kind of spring issue

I am also wondering what if it had been taken apart and reassembled incorrectly?

You never know and techs are not infallible....
Old 05-18-2015, 06:17 PM

I talked to my SIL tonight and she said that my brother took The tension apart, cleaned it and put it together correctly and it now works great. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
I talked to my SIL tonight and she said that my brother took The tension apart, cleaned it and put it together correctly and it now works great. Thanks for your suggestions.
Yay! Fantastic sewing machine, one of the best.