Those dang antique shops

Old 08-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Default Those dang antique shops

Well, I was driving by a mom and pops antique shop/hoarders den and figured I would stop in just for the heck of it. Usually I find everything way over my budget in these places, but today I left with a 64-72 range Elna Supermatic with cams and accessories in a very nice cabinet. It was one of the filthiest machines I have found, but under the top cover looked pristine, and it sews like a dream. Then I found a Singer 96-10 from 1928 that was complete and freewheeling, so I had to ask. I left with them both for 60 bucks out the door. Not a steal, but I was happy! Not so sure about my wife though
Jim
Old 08-27-2018, 07:34 PM

From watching the shows that deal with antiques or collectable items they don't appreciate the sewing machines. Not sure why, because there are so many of us out there that love the old machines. But maybe we are cheap and won't pay their retails values. So there isn't a lot of money to be made there.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:39 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head, candy.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:01 PM

Funny you mention that Candy. The proprietor actually said, "We sell the cabinets, the machines aren't worth anything."
Old 08-27-2018, 10:03 PM

The antique malls near me all the dealers have their machines overpriced. Like $250 for a 99 that needs rewired. The one small antique shop that has sewing machines doesn’t put price tags on things and I don’t want any of the ones they have right now.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:37 AM

There really aren't that many people interested in old sewing machines, and it seems to me that most of the people I encounter that are interested don't have much of a budget to devote to them.

Those that do have the funds seem to gravitate to the early machines were there is a much higher value as the machines are quite rare.

I think until 75% of the 1900-1950 era machines are distroyed, the value isn't going to go up. Anything that ended up being mass produced just as too much volume available.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:46 AM

When you can buy a brand new fancy stitching machine on sale for really cheap, our vintage machines are less appealing. And if you aren't trained or willing to learn how to thoroughly oil and clean a beastie and ( gasp) maybe replace a part of two, you could send a lot of money to a repair shop. If you can find a shop who won't turn you away at the door.

I remember going to a fancy local Bernina show room. I instantly got a cool reception (because I am male?) I asked for bobbins for whatever model I was tinkering with that day. "Bernina didn't make that." hmm lf,"Yes they did, it is an old steel machine" They looked at me in disbelief that anyone would want to use such a thing. then one finally got up from her chair and looked on her 'puter screen. "No we don't have those."
I know they don't live to serve VSM fans, but you would think that anyone who sews might need a newer machine some day. Not the way I treated customers when I was in retail. I wasn't sorry to see the shop go out of business.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:01 AM

Here the marked for a used machine is pretty stable, a 201 will go for around $60 dollars, even when it needs cleaning and a bit of work. Fixup machines turns up at give away prices some times, and prices vary in general. Much the same for any good used model $60 to $170. The old Berninas and Pfaffs will easily go for $120 in working condition. They arent' always easy to sell, but with a bit patience they will go. At give away prices they will be piced up in a day or two. Treadles can take time to sell around here, and they need to be in reasonably good condition.

For vintage and antique, there are trends too. Some furniture will alway go quickly. At the moment, teak and palisander from 1950s to 1980s go very quickly and increasing prices. They have to be in good original condition or gently restored. At times toys have fetched high prices, some 1930s Schwinn bikes had a wave of popularity that seem to have deflated quite a bit. I personally look for some nice 1930s furniture, or classics in general. I need some nice polished wood and a bit of color to the fabrics. Everything(!) turned grey here the last decade.

Last edited by Mickey2; 08-29-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 AM

Oh those antique malls, they call me too. I love dusty malls, the ones that are clean just don't seem to have the bargains. Sounds like you got a great price. So often there is an "ebay price" not a reality price.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Banned

Mickey the gray thing is big here too. Gray and yellow(yuck), gray and teal/turquoise(better but still..), gray and white(blah). My new house has gray floors and white walls but lots of color with everything else is making it nice. All of my kitchen stuff is red, black, and white so it pops in a gray and white room.

Cari