Thread jam

Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM

Default Thread jam

My neighbor recently bought a FW 221. It had a major thread jam in and around the bobbin case and the hook assembly. She removed the bottom of the machine and has disassembled the entire hook assembly to get to the last bit of thread. I was not with her when she did this.

She can not get the bobbin case base (or maybe it is the gib or both) back in properly.

I know this is a very vague description of her problem but can you tell me how to help her put this back together correctly - or send me to a website that could help?

We both have FW machine. Should we use ours for a comparison to get the new one back together. Don't know that I am willing to disassemble my machine.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
My neighbor recently bought a FW 221. It had a major thread jam in and around the bobbin case and the hook assembly. She removed the bottom of the machine and has disassembled the entire hook assembly to get to the last bit of thread. I was not with her when she did this.

She can not get the bobbin case base (or maybe it is the gib or both) back in properly.

I know this is a very vague description of her problem but can you tell me how to help her put this back together correctly - or send me to a website that could help?

We both have FW machine. Should we use ours for a comparison to get the new one back together. Don't know that I am willing to disassemble my machine.

Thanks for your input.
here's the HOW TO TAKE OUT/PUT BACK ROTATING HOOK AREA for the featherweight.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 PM

Thank you, singerguy, for the information and your prompt reply. I have printed the information and will take it to my neighbor tonight. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

She might be happier if she had a Spartan or a Singer 15. They aren't as prone to thread jams. Not as cute usually but more reliable for some people.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
Thank you, singerguy, for the information and your prompt reply. I have printed the information and will take it to my neighbor tonight. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks again!
you're mostly welcome. Here's hoping she can get it all squared and working.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
She might be happier if she had a Spartan or a Singer 15. They aren't as prone to thread jams. Not as cute usually but more reliable for some people.
Miriam, thank for responding. My friend is going to sell this FW but wanted to clear up the thread jam before advertising it. She bought this FW and the FW table at an auction. She will keep the table and sell the FW as she already has her own. The table is what attracted her to the sale. With help from singerguy, I think she can put things back together.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Power Poster

I'm not trying to be funny. There are some people who just have trouble with making the FW jam up. Likely they won't love a Singer 301 either. Some machines just aren't as prone to jamming.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 AM

The advice from singerguy is spot on. I bought my FW at an estate sale & had the same prob. found him, downloaded the pics, cleared the jam & got it all back together. I had never done that before as this is my one & only FW. Also learned to clean & oil properly & now my "Gracie" just hums along. Happy quilting!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 PM

If you remember to always turn the fly wheel towards you and never backwards, it won't jam.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
If you remember to always turn the fly wheel towards you and never backwards, it won't jam.
That and start and stop with the needle or thread take up lever all the way to the top and long tails on your thread/starter fabric.