Threading Dressmaker

Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Default Threading Dressmaker

Hi I purchesed this machine at a yard sale for 2 Dollars and just couldnt resist not taking it home. I know nothing about it. Ive searched the net for 2 days now and have found out nothing other than it is a dressmaker deluxe zigzag 1, according to sewusa.com it does have model 4900 on the back and other numbers on the underside. Ive no idea how to thread this machine it is different from the others I have. Hopefully someone can tell me something about it and hopefully how to thread.
Thanks a lot
Melissa[ATTACH=CONFIG]427043[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]427044[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-07-29-21.09.32.jpg   2013-07-29-21.10.06.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Have you gone to the ISMACS site to get a generic manual?? That might help you. I'd guess it threads pretty much like an 80s era Singer. IS there much plastic or is it an all metal machine?

Run your thread thru the 2 holes things and then down thru tension assembly from right to left, catching the spring (Appears to be there) if any, then up thru the uptake lever and down thru the thread guides down to the needle. Guessing your needle is flat side right or left after blowing up your picture and thread will go thru either from the left or right if that needle orientation is correct.

I hope this helps. Just try the ISMACS site for a generic manual.

Chris
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 PM

What Chris said. Also, here is a Japanese machine manual that Miriam posted on another thread. See p. 13 for upper threading, p 10 for bobbin.
http://www.dontai.com/wp/images/imperial-535-manual.pdf

The round side of the needle shank always faces the needle clamp because the clamp is circular inside. The flat side of the needle faces the needle bar, whose slot is flat. Round meets round, flat meets flat. That's how I remember how to insert the needle, and so far it works on every machine except those which take round shank needles (industrial types). Thread the needle from the round side. How I remember this: T(hread) is nearer to R(ound) than it is to F(lat), alphabetically.

If you have any dark or colored thread it will show up better in the pictures. Good luck, and congrats on a great purchase!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

More than looking at a manual you need to look at Muv's info about cleaning it up: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html Get all the lint, hair and gooey stuff out of the machine. Buy some Tri-Flow at a bicycle shop, shake it up and put a drop on every single place that moves. If it is as I suspect, you will have your work cut out for you with that dial on the left - the stitch selector dial. Those usually gum up and won't turn. If you try to turn it the set screw on the knob will give first then the knob just turns and the internals stay gummed up. You will need to free it internally before you attempt to turn it externally. Someone may already have tried. At $2 you have nothing to lose - if nothing else you have lots of parts.