Timing is Everything

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Timing is Everything

Teach me to just look around. I just went to one of our local thrift stores today "just to look around" and what do I find? A black Singer 301 in a nice walnut cabinet complete with a buttonholer and a bunch of feet for only $49.99. We're between paydays and we still have a stack of bills to pay so no way I can even try for at least 2 more weeks. I'm pretty sure it'll be long gone by then. If I never saw it I wouldn't know what I missed.
Timing is everything.
Rodney
Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Teach me to just look around. I just went to one of our local thrift stores today "just to look around" and what do I find? A black Singer 301 in a nice walnut cabinet complete with a buttonholer and a bunch of feet for only $49.99. We're between paydays and we still have a stack of bills to pay so no way I can even try for at least 2 more weeks. I'm pretty sure it'll be long gone by then. If I never saw it I wouldn't know what I missed.
Timing is everything.
Rodney
wow. 301A and in a cabinet. that sure is so hard to let go. but we have our priorities. can you at least ask them if they can do a layaway. some stores do that or will hold it for you with some cash down ? might worth asking. that is even a better deal than i got!
Old 01-10-2014, 06:45 PM

I think I missed one or two lately here locally. I'm not a fan of the mocha colors.

Now I want one of course.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:01 AM

I know exactly what you mean. Wouldn’t it be nice if sewing machine “finds” came along on a regular basis, as in, when there’s extra money to buy them with? I’m still kicking myself for passing up a couple of machines while traveling in Kansas back in March 2012. But, buying them would have put a bind on the trip.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-11-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
wow. 301A and in a cabinet. that sure is so hard to let go. but we have our priorities. can you at least ask them if they can do a layaway. some stores do that or will hold it for you with some cash down ? might worth asking. that is even a better deal than i got!
I agree that it might be worth asking if they will hold it with a little down payment. It never hurts to ask. The 301 is a great machine and in a cabinet they are really wonderful to sew with. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Please do go back and ask about layaway. I had a lady at an antique store who did that for me.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM

I hear you.......missed a great buy on a 301a.......but.....as luck would have it I found one in mint condition and scooped it up......brought her home to-day.....better go get her !!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Morag View Post
I hear you.......missed a great buy on a 301a.......but.....as luck would have it I found one in mint condition and scooped it up......brought her home to-day.....better go get her !!
pics please.....good for you. congrats. i too was not so much into 301A but as soon as members told me how nice of a machine it is, i snatched one right away.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM

Given the state of our finances at the moment and the fact that I have 4 other machines I need to get into fully operational condition, passing on the 301 is my best possible decision. I'm not too worried about it. The only thing I would gain with the 301 is light weight as a portable and honestly we don't travel back and forth to any sort of sewing meetings so it's not that big of a deal to me. I wanted it just because it's a cool machine. There will be others.
Rodney
Old 01-12-2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Given the state of our finances at the moment and the fact that I have 4 other machines I need to get into fully operational condition, passing on the 301 is my best possible decision. I'm not too worried about it. The only thing I would gain with the 301 is light weight as a portable and honestly we don't travel back and forth to any sort of sewing meetings so it's not that big of a deal to me. I wanted it just because it's a cool machine. There will be others.
Rodney
very well said. and yes, there will be more good deals coming our way.