Timing is out on 15 clone

Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Default Timing is out on 15 clone

Hi Group,

I hope you can help me.

My Great Blue (avatar) 15 clone has gone out of whack, timing wise.

I am afraid this is uncharted territory for me. I have done all sorts of cleaning, oiling, tinkering, and benign removal-and-replacement of independently-moving-parts, but timing? I am intimidated. Very.

I will confess as to what I think did it. I think I was sewing through something heavyish and I attempted to handwheel it only, and then I think I 'helped' the needle down by gently pushing the needle bar down. I know - you are cringing. I am sure this is what must have caused it, and I now feel pretty stupid for having done that.

If anyone can tell me how to go about correcting this gaff, please chime in. I am sad and embarrassed that I futzed this up. :-(
Old 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Usually there's a little screw on the needle bar that you can loosen to adjust the timing. At about 5:45 he shows you where the screw is and how you can adjust it. Timing your Machine Part 2: http://youtu.be/sE2umnAmv1k
Old 05-31-2014, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

You will not need to move or remove the hook. You will only need to set the needle bar timing. There is a hole on the inside part of the machine - line up the screw in the hole. Loosen that screw and then set the hook in time with the needle. Use a new needle. On that video it is about 4:00 - starts on needle bar timing.

Last edited by miriam; 05-31-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 AM

This is good to know; my son helps me with adjusting my sewing machines sometimes, and he has wondered a time or two how one would go about setting the timing. Thanks, y'all.....
Old 05-31-2014, 11:06 PM

JoAnn, it depends on which part went out. Cecilia probably helped the needlebar to become un-timed. Other things will un-time the hook and still others the feed dogs.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Thank you!!! I fixed it!!!!

You guys, THANK you more than I can say. I am so happy because even though I realize this was not brain surgery, I was intimidated by it, and I appear to have succeeded!

I watched the video that was recommended, and in the end it was educational but it was really hard to see where I needed to see on my Great Blue Clone. I had a look at it today; and in the end, I did as follows:

See these photos, there is a set screw; it was not very snug (it was also bruised already, on an otherwise near-pristine machine; so I am not the first to dig in there! Very awkward angle, and without the proper screwdriver, easy to bruise the head).

The set screw appears to have to do with keeping the needle bar timing from straying out of time. As it was not too snug, I imagine this is why it went out of time.

So, I loosened the screw and lined the mechanism up such that when the needle was at its lowest, the needle bar and the arm of the mechanism on which the set screw is, were parallel. Crud, that's awkward grammar. I hope it was clear! Shown are two photos, and if I have done this correctly, when the needle is in its lowest position, these are parallel, and as well, when the needle is in its highest, these are again parallel, only by now the mechanism has travelled upwards.

I sewed some glorious stitches, so it works! And no needle hitting where it ought not. But I would love it is someone could confirm whether this parallel rule is a good rule?

The first photo shows the needle-down position; the second show the needle-up position.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477646[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477647[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_7087.jpg   img_7088.jpg