Timing a Singer 127

Old 08-26-2015, 11:50 AM

Default Timing a Singer 127

OK, I am officially frustrated! Got this old Singer 127 and it was froze up. I had to actually remove the needlebar and pressure bar to get it unfrozen. Now, I cannot get the timing fixed, mainly probably because I don't know what the heck I am doing LOL. I have the old service manual which is very not helpful. I had it sewing at one point but, now it has quit again. I think my issue may be with whatever adjustment is done underneath the machine rather than with the timing mark in the bobbin case area. Is there a video or better directions anywhere specifically for timing a 127 or even a 27 that I can view? I do better with visual aids LOL.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 PM

If you don't touch anything to the under bed mechanism, in my opinion it could be the the needle bar height. I saw some 28 machine where it was impossible to adjust something, but on 127 and 128 it's possible. You could see how to make this adjustment on page 9 of the adjuster manual. I think also that you clean the needlebar when you removed it, I had a similar problem on a 28 and it was a ring of old gummy oil that cause the problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 AM

Chances are you changed the needlebar height. I haven't had to reset a vibrating shuttle machine yet so I don't know how different they are to set.
Rodney
Old 08-27-2015, 05:57 PM

I don't have any clue, but I do know that sometimes it is the easiest thing that does the trick. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out. I get really not mad, but something when I can't figure something out, there should be a good word for that,lol
Old 08-28-2015, 07:09 AM

I took mine apart and put it back together the only real trick was the set screws and getting the height adjustment.
Rodney is correct timing is not an issue. (unless I did it by accident. ) I have also had a bit of trouble with the shuttle carrier when putting it back on.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I got lucky, my son came for a visit from Texas and between the two of us, we got the timing issue straight. I also discovered that the shuttle carrier was not riding close enough to the chase and we fixed that. Now, it does make stitches but, I am working on a top tension problem. Fix one thing, another goes wonky! This machine was free and when I got it, it was a door stop. It is a learning experience LOL. When I get it sewing good, then will think about making it pretty again. For now, I simply cleaned heck out of it and oil, oil, oil.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:42 PM

Got it! I decided to play with it one more time tonight and that magic moment happened when it got right! She sews! Thanks again everyone! Pictures maybe if I can figure it out.
Attached Thumbnails dscf0011.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 07:46 PM

Congrats on getting it running! It's always a good feeling to bring one back to life. I have 2 27s, One is waiting on a few tension parts but I do like the way they sew.
Rodney