Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Touch & Sew information for J Miller >

Touch & Sew information for J Miller

Touch & Sew information for J Miller

Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 PM

katykwilt,

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try.

cjr,

We have found that our white cams will not fit properly on the top of the cam shaft. It seems as if they are too small to fit all the way down. We have two sets of them and both have the same problem. Either that or the three plastic spokes that the cam centers on are too big or have swollen from oil or chemicals.

I've yet to check it thoroughly cos I'm still doing other things.

Joe
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 AM

Thanks for all the great info on the Touch & Sew. I just purchased a Golden Touch & Sew Model 640 for $30 off of ebay. I wanted the cabinet it was in whether the machine worked or not. No cams or manual but I think I can figure it out, I've already found the manual online. It looks brand new.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Whew, played with it, cleaned it, getting rid of it. What a complicated little machine.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:48 PM

The two 600 something T&S late 60's vintage machines I bought from the church yard sale didn't age very well. Both had broken gears.

Jon
Old 05-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Ah, thanks to this thread I totally just didn't buy a t&s 630. Lol although I'm eyeballing the accessories.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:17 PM

My understanding is that model 620 and lower Touch & Sews have metal gears. New plastic gear sets are available for machines equipped with them. I like the 2 Touch & Sews I have. A 620 and a 648. The 648 needs new gears. Plastic gears in any sewing machine can be a problem. Gears aging and becoming brittle isn't a problem that only Touch & Sews have.
The 620 uses both a built-in camstack and the separate cams. They can be used together to create even more stitch patterns. The 648 is much simpler. Touch & Sews are very capable machines when set up correctly. To me it's a requirement that you read the owner's manual before using one though. They're not as intuitive as other machines to use.
Rodney
Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM

The one I was looking at was definitely one with the plastic gears. If I can find the lower numbered one's I'll get it. 😀
Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 PM

We have 5 machines with plastic gears. I hate 'em. My wife likes certain features that aren't usually found on the older Singers with steel gears. So she uses them. Wears them out.

I told I'll fix her 538 when we get the new gears, but that's it. I won't fix any of the others. They don't like me either.

Joe
Old 05-30-2014, 01:54 PM

>>>>. 750 - Top of the Line - called Golden Touch and Sew. Has built in
stitches plus many cams to do fancy stitches (uses both black cams and white
"flexi-stitch" cams.) Has rubber feed dogs. <<<

I have this machine and still sew on it, though I now have a new Brother 450Q and older two Singers, one a 99K I bought used when I got my first job (eons ago!), and a 15 that I inherited. All sew great, but I have a special place in my heart for the 99K and the Golden Touch 'n Sew, which was a gift from my husband, and which I've used to make everything from net petticoats (during our square dance years) to a man's suit. I had my first problem with it only a year or so ago, had it repaired, and it's still going strong. I love that machine!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:13 AM

mme3924,

Our T&S is a 778. We got it in trade. It's been updated with spiral cut gears and actually sews quite well, except for the problem of ejecting certain white cams. I've got a tip from my LSMG and as soon as I get to the machine to try it I'll report back.

I sometimes think the problems with the plastic geared machines was more operator caused than the gears. Some people just tend to abuse things, or work them to death ( my wife for instance ).

I wish I could find some steel gears for her 538, she'd be in heaven then.

Joe