Touch and sew Singer

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=rosiewell;4883895]I bought a Singer 600E at Goodwill for $20. I was very happy about my find until I took it home and found that is more complicated that I wanted it to be, even though i downloaded the manual, I had a hard time threading the machine and filling the bobbin. The machine looked in good condition and I will take it to a repair shop to look into, but I was reading on the net about this model and it said that it was the best of the worst series of Touch and sew by Singer. Has anyone ever had this model, what is your experience?[/QUOTE Hello rosiewell;4883895, I am sorry to hear your
dilemma. Actually your 600E machine is the best Singer "touch and Sew" machine made. One of the reasons is it is has all metal gears- no plastic. The next model after that had poly/nylon blend gears that would shatter if you hit a pin and broke the needle (the #620). You got a very good deal for $20.00 and the accessories are easy to find on E-bay. I have sewed on the 600E since 1964 and I love the machine.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your machine, I believe you will just need to get adjusted
to the "feel" of the machine and the fact that it is a bit different from "typical" sewing machines.
The wonderful thing is you can oil it yourself and not need to have it serviced. It will sew smooth and
fast, and you will enjoy the visibility factor of the "slant needle", just wait till you sew your first zipper,
it is like no other machine. As a matter of fact I have collected "spares" due to the fact parts are more
difficult to find and I hate the cheap plastic "Chinese" machines that are new on the market. I know
some repairmen hate the machine ( a lot of the younger ones have no idea how to adjust them- I learned myself) Hang in there... I think you will eventually like your "new machine", it will just take a bit of "getting used to..."

Last edited by 1953childstar; 01-27-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Power Poster

I have one I keep for parts. My sister says you have to make sure the bobbins are good - a nick or a crack or too much thread or what ever will keep it from working right.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:14 PM

I acquired a 600E, my question has to do with the bobbin. It does not want to lock in. Was sewing ok but
then decided to clean & oil it. So now the bobbin case will not lock in, does it need to have a bobbin in the case/holder? The black lever on the right will just come all the way out and not exactly sure where it locks into the case/holder, does any one have any pic's or explain it to me.
Thank you.