Treadle Machine Stools?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
Don't know who/where to credit this pic to. Anyways, this may not be a bad idea for a stool for treadle!

I didn't even notice the stool at first, I just saw the Brother machine, lol.

Cari
Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM

Is that a shower stool/chair?
Old 09-15-2014, 10:27 PM

they just used a wooden chair thats all they had back in the day. my mother kept her chair that went with pump organ she sold the organ in the early 50's
Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 PM

Yep, shower stool.
Rodney
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 AM

could never use a shower chair as a sewing stool. anyone here ever sit on one of those. Then try up stand up. I like to lean back relax and study what I've done. Then when quilting those 8 foot long lines, and 8 feet of blanket on the floor, in your lap and stuffed under the needle kinda like knowing I'm not going to fall off the chair. I have pushed the sewing machine in a cabinet over a few times LOLOL. That was fun
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 AM

I have always sat forward on my chair when typing (at work) and sewing. I had a Schnauzer who would sit behind me in my chair when I was sewing.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 AM

I've tried the wheeled office chairs when treadling...not a good thing. The chair rolls backwards.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 AM

I did a quick YaHoo Photo Search for Singer Advertisements, and the treadle photos where a lady is seated at the machine shows either a high-backed chair that appears to be a dining table chair, or nothing can be seen beneath or below the floor-length skirt and dress styles that they all posed wearing. They could be setting on a box for all I know....

Does anyone know if the 4-legged adjustable claw-foot stools with the round seat like the one shown in my photo above were actually sold as a “Piano Stool”, or just a stool? Did a person have to buy them from a piano store?

The Singer Chair in my other photo came much later than the treadle sewing machines, as far as I can tell. It has an adjustable height and tip back on it, as well as a height adjustment for the seat. I tried that one for a while, but the danged thing was too hard for me. My wife set in one like it 8 hours a day for a few months when she operated a serger machine in the local Bra Factory that she worked at for a while. She didn’t have any desire to use one for a home sewing chair, and wouldn’t even try it.....

My wife sets way forward on her office swivel chairs that she uses at sewing machines too. I keep waiting for one of them to buck her off (her weight too far forward and the chair scoots out rearward from under her), but it hasn’t happened yet. If I sat that way in mine, I’d find myself setting on the floor in a jiffy.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails woodall_42.jpg   woodall_43.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I've tried the wheeled office chairs when treadling...not a good thing. The chair rolls backwards.
I had the same experience when I was trying to teach myself how to treadle with both feet on the peddle. Once I decided that using just my right foot on the peddle was better for me, I don’t have much trouble with rolling chair runaways.

I've begun to use a 5-caster motorcycle stool in my bikeshop sewing area to operate my Singer 31-15 treadle. I bought the specialty stool for my wife one Christmas for fun, but she never cared for it much. The problem with it is the seat that’s contoured to resemble a motorcycle seat, and the seat swivels freely, so if you stand up for a second and don’t look before you sit back down, the seat tends to realign the contours with the brush of a leg into an “oh my goodness!!” position, if you know what I mean..... Touching down in the side-saddle position is NOT comfortable!

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20140719_02.jpg  
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 AM

I've used a variety of chairs and as long as the seat is level they seem to be OK. My wife commented on the white plastic one shown in Cari's pic; she said they have a tendency to be unstable. They flex and over you go. My SIL has one at her sewing table.

Joe