Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Treadle sewing machine cleaning >

Treadle sewing machine cleaning

Treadle sewing machine cleaning

Old 05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Google Goddess

wow, you found a cool machine, have fun getting it all cleaned up and ready to sew sew sew
Old 05-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlee
Very fine steel wool.... "0000". Homer's furniture refinisher, in a dark walnut color.

Using the steel wool, apply the Homer's, rubbing with the grain of the wood. You may have to repeat it several times, wiping the wood dry each time.
When it's looking the way you want it to, finish up with Homer's Beeswax and Orange oil...following the directions.

Don't sand the veneer. veneer is so thin that it's easy to wear completely through it.

That's a beautiful machine!
Charlee, what is the expected result using the Homers? I bought a can and have been working on my new aquisition from the auction, and I dont see that it is helping very much. Perhaps my expectations are too high? I thought that it would sort of melt the old finish and redistibute in an overall look. I have been rubbing and rubbing and the old doesnt seem to be changing much..Am I just too impatient....
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 PM

Just found this thread. I'm wondering if there are any updates?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:54 PM

I don hope the person is using this Davis. The Davis Vertical Feed machines are excellent for quilting and attaching binding.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Wow I would like to know to!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

This looks like an old thread on here. You don't really have to totally disassemble a sewing machine to put it in working order.
Muv has some nice videos for cleaning and fixing up sewing machines.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html I first found these videos from a Google search I did trying to find more info because I thought the machines did not need to always be disassembled to get them to run. Then I discovered Muv was a QB member!!!! Grab a nice cup of tea and enjoy her videos!!! This is really good info!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 AM

Thanks Celeste for the PM telling me this thread has been reactivated. I still have not done anything with her. We are busy settling into our new home and she is in a corner of the dining room with a pretty Christmas table topper on her. Refinishing kitchen cabinets come first and we are active retirees who are never home!!

Thank you also Miriam, for the link to the videos. I'll watch them soon and when the kitchen is done...................
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Muv

Hello Dakotamaid,

What a great machine! We very rarely see Davis vertical feeds here. It is the one American machine I would like to have a go on.

I have had a good squint at the pictures. The discoloured metal, especially the bobbin winder, looks like a residue of dust and oil. This should come off easily with a bit of persistence with metal polish. The stuff I use is called Peek, made in England (hurrah hurrah) and is obtainable in the States. If you can't find it in the shops you can buy it online from http://www.tri-peek.com It goes a very long way. I am still only halfway through a tube after cleaning about 10 machines. Make sure you don't let the Peek get onto the japanned area of the decals, because it could lift off the top layer of the decal. If there is any stubborn oily residue on the japanned areas or decals, try a little bit of undiluted washing up liquid (ie. for dishes) on cotton wool or a soft cloth. Once dust and stubborn residue has been shifted you can wipe the black areas with machine oil on cotton wool.

Miriam - Thanks again for posting the links!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM

Hi Muv, could you explain what the term japanned means? Also is the Peek the tube that you show on the video on how to clean a vintage machine? Do you happen to own a Treadle machine? I believe I have watched all your videos and have seen anything on the Treadle. Would you consider doing one specifically to the Treadle? I have taken apart my tension disc several times because although I get the most beautiful stitch plus thanks to you I have the perfect scant 1/4 inch seam, my thread keeps breaking and I have followed your threading instructions. It feels like the thread is too tight then breaks which is very frustrating as it happens every 2 inches or so of stitching. Anything you could recommend would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM

I just cleaned off my grandmother's Singer 1905 I think I am going to clean her up & possibly use her. I learned to sew on her with my grandma's watching closely so that I wouldn't go to fast. We made skirts & clothes for school. She would let me hand quilt with her but not the piecing and now I know why. Thank you for posting your questions they will also help me.
Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
Thanks Celeste for the PM telling me this thread has been reactivated. I still have not done anything with her. We are busy settling into our new home and she is in a corner of the dining room with a pretty Christmas table topper on her. Refinishing kitchen cabinets come first and we are active retirees who are never home!!

Thank you also Miriam, for the link to the videos. I'll watch them soon and when the kitchen is done...................