Trying to identify machine

Old 05-10-2021, 08:56 PM

Default Trying to identify machine

I need some help with identifying this machine. I think it is a 1911 Davis Model K. Only name on it is Manhattan. I have seen pictures of one almost identical to it but with a "K" in the middle of the decal to the right of name. I think the "K" may have been removed. All the other decals are in really good shape. If someone tried to sell it as a Manhattan brand machine, it would be worth much more. I know Davis made all machines sold at Sears in 1910 and 1911, could this have been a model made for Sears, similar to a Minnesota? I am new at this, what are your thoughts? I know National, White and Standard also made Manhattan models, but the National is written in a different font, White has patent dates on th4r tension plates, this on doesn't, and the placement of the serial numbers on the Standard don't align with where the serial number is on this machine. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:20 PM

Default Trying to upload picture

Sorry having issues getting picture to upload. It is jpg and 3.33 mb, been working for too long now and it is too late. i'll try tomorrow.
Originally Posted by kennedyfacs View Post
I need some help with identifying this machine. I think it is a 1911 Davis Model K. Only name on it is Manhattan. I have seen pictures of one almost identical to it but with a "K" in the middle of the decal to the right of name. I think the "K" may have been removed. All the other decals are in really good shape. If someone tried to sell it as a Manhattan brand machine, it would be worth much more. I know Davis made all machines sold at Sears in 1910 and 1911, could this have been a model made for Sears, similar to a Minnesota? I am new at this, what are your thoughts? I know National, White and Standard also made Manhattan models, but the National is written in a different font, White has patent dates on th4r tension plates, this on doesn't, and the placement of the serial numbers on the Standard don't align with where the serial number is on this machine. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:49 AM

Welcome. It looks like you have done quite a bit of research to try to identify your machine. A picture would indeed help. Unfortunately, the limit that is listed for images/files is incorrect.

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:44 AM

Attempt #2 to post pictures
Attached Thumbnails 20210505_205950.jpeg   20210505_205937.jpeg   20210505_205906.jpeg   20210505_205815.jpeg   20210505_205720.jpeg  

Old 05-11-2021, 08:46 AM

I'm only looking here:

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...uttle_Machines

And the Model L/K has the stitch length adjustment on the pillar. Yours is on the base as in the Model M/N. The Model E/H/G has the same stitch length adjustment plate, but the picture does not have the whole machine, but I assume the stitch length would be on the base.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:30 AM

Thank you for your help.