Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Tutorial showing how to work on a Singer motor? >

Tutorial showing how to work on a Singer motor?

Tutorial showing how to work on a Singer motor?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Christine, the felts *do* belong in the grease tubes. If you remove them and allow grease to flow into the motor unimpeded, it is only a matter of time before your motor becomes flooded with grease and dies. The grease is only supposed to lubricate the part of the shaft spinning within the bearing. The wicks moderate the amount of grease that can make it down there.

I'd recommend you place them back in the motor, or you'll probably be looking for a new motor in a few months.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
Thank you for looking it up! Thank you for the info. The felt was all the way to the top of the ports, only a miniscule amount of grease would fit on top of the felt. And not a bit of grease was in it, so I'm thinking this machine didn't get much use. My machine certainly is weird! I don't think grease ports (tiny little tubes) are supposed to have felt in them. It seemed as if the felt was in pieces, not all one piece or it would have come out easier.

There is a clue in the section called "at the repair bench". It says check the wicks "and springs", which tells me the motor they are talking about is one with grease cups where you can remove the springs and wick.
Those felts, when they're old and non-lubricated (like yours, and the ones I had in my 15-90) do get really hard to take out intact. I have found in a couple of motors so far that the springs were "optional". I think the stuff at the top of the parts page, referring to checking wicks and springs may have been generic, but it's at the top of every parts page. They could have changed it, but didn't. *shrugs* I dunno why. The 15-90 had the wick crammed all the way up the tube too, it came out in a few pieces. I ended up using a blunt pin to push it out from the top, but your corkscrew method bears some thought for the next time I get one I have to do that with.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Only the 201-2 has the potted motor. There were several different versions of the 201 just like the other Singers.
Thanks for that clarification Joe! I had actually never seen (or at least recognized) a 201 in person until Tuesday night, I'd just read that they had a potted motor like the 15.

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
From what I've been able to determine, my machine is a 201-3. I wanted a 201 with the light in the back so I could avoid the 201 tattoo. I have a slight brain injury so reaching under the light, if in the front, would be a problem for me... I can focus on just a few things at one time.

I'm happy with the machine! It's humming so quietly as it sews. I can't find a manual for a 201-3 online anywhere though. Don't really need one really...
I have a FW tattoo for the same reason. That machine taught me not to use the light anymore, and i sew with another light on above the machines now. Sometimes it's one of those light / magnifier lamps that you can move the arm about, or else a stationary fluorescent meant for being under a cabinet.

I ran across a 201-3 on Tuesday. It belongs to a lady who's not going to part with it, but she wants it tuned up once she finishes a project. When her husband brings it to me, I'm going to ask him to bring me the manual we found in the drawer too, so I can scan it. I'll make sure I get a copy to you once I do that.