Universal machine

Old 03-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Default Universal machine

Can anyone give me some info on this machine I picked up yesterday? I'm having the hardest time finding much about it and can't place the year it was manufactured.

Here are some pictures:

Obviously, it is a universal machine but the motor - Simanco - all of the research I've done says it came from Spartan? Any ideas how to find the serial number? Or maybe some of the numbers I've posted is the serial number and I'm just not understanding. Thanks!
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
Old 03-30-2018, 09:13 AM

I'm sure you have probably seen this webpage. http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...universal.html
Old 03-30-2018, 09:33 AM

Your universal is a 15 clone. The serial # is at the base of the pillar in your last photo, but honestly, it won't help you much. Records from the Japanese are sketchy to none. The arm to hold the motor on is substituted from Singer, but we don't see the motor to see if it is, also. Oil it up and enjoy it and it's birthday can be whatever you choose.

I got a kick out of your character on the back of your tablet.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM

You can roughly assume it's an early Japanese clone because of the black paint and gold decals, and there's no knob or lever on the base for dropping the feed dogs. I have read some early clones have simaco part numbers stamped on some of the cast iron parts under the base. I would guess very early 1950s if I had nothing else to go on. Later version had small features added like buttons or turn knob for the feed dogs, hinged bobbin cover, various colors; they were reasonably common well into the 1960s.

I'm not sure when the Japanese started making 15 clones, but I guess it could have been as early as 1920s or 1935. By then model 15 for a long time had been improved upon and slightly reworked by European sewing machine factories. The stitch length lever was first introduced on Singer model 15s around 1930. Singer estabilshed a factory in Japan in 1954 if I have the info correct. I'm not sure when the import of Japanese machines became common in the US, but it was some time after WWII.

Last edited by Mickey2; 03-30-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Banned

Your machine dates somewhere between 1947-1952, can't really get any closer than that. 1947 was when the Japanese started importing to the US and roughly 1952 or so was when the drop feed, less fancy decals(yours were once really pretty, I used to have an identical one), and the striated face plate and inspection plate were added.

Cari
Old 04-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
Your machine dates somewhere between 1947-1952, can't really get any closer than that. 1947 was when the Japanese started importing to the US and roughly 1952 or so was when the drop feed, less fancy decals(yours were once really pretty, I used to have an identical one), and the striated face plate and inspection plate were added.

Cari
Thank you for this information! I'd love to fix this little guy up. Any idea where to get replacement decals??
Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2
You can roughly assume it's an early Japanese clone because of the black paint and gold decals, and there's no knob or lever on the base for dropping the feed dogs. I have read some early clones have simaco part numbers stamped on some of the cast iron parts under the base. I would guess very early 1950s if I had nothing else to go on. Later version had small features added like buttons or turn knob for the feed dogs, hinged bobbin cover, various colors; they were reasonably common well into the 1960s.

I'm not sure when the Japanese started making 15 clones, but I guess it could have been as early as 1920s or 1935. By then model 15 for a long time had been improved upon and slightly reworked by European sewing machine factories. The stitch length lever was first introduced on Singer model 15s around 1930. Singer estabilshed a factory in Japan in 1954 if I have the info correct. I'm not sure when the import of Japanese machines became common in the US, but it was some time after WWII.

Thank you so much for this history. I'm absolutely in love with learning about these machines. This weekend I'll start cleaning up this machine!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by leonf
Your universal is a 15 clone. The serial # is at the base of the pillar in your last photo, but honestly, it won't help you much. Records from the Japanese are sketchy to none. The arm to hold the motor on is substituted from Singer, but we don't see the motor to see if it is, also. Oil it up and enjoy it and it's birthday can be whatever you choose.

I got a kick out of your character on the back of your tablet.

My character is Rey from Star Wars :-)

I need to start cleaning and oiling the machine this weekend. Still researching best way to do this. These forums are extremely helpful and I'm grateful for them!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
I'm sure you have probably seen this webpage. http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht...universal.html

Sure have! Thank you :-)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by wondermom
Thank you for this information! I'd love to fix this little guy up. Any idea where to get replacement decals??
Here's one place: https://www.singerdecals.com/

There are many places, including ebay. This is a good search string "sewing machine restoration decals".

bkay