Very Cool! MN A Treadle Table

Old 12-21-2014, 02:05 PM

Default Very Cool! MN A Treadle Table

This thing is awesome!

Only thing not making it perfect is that it's missing the top.

Here is the beauty - with the top, it would be quite the nice table.

Oh wait, I bet you were wondering where the treadle parts are . . .

After getting it home, I realized there were some neat levers - and turns out everything folds up out of sight!

There is even a grove cut in a wood block to hold the pitman up and out of the way.

Here she is, ready to treadle (except for the machine . . .)

Here is the machine, she's missing a few parts.

the base is cast special to mount into the table, so I don't think you could get anything else to fit.

It mounts by removing the screws and the top half of the clamp -

There is a lever on the belt side that the machine sits on when upright - that is all that holds it upright, the back board is just a filler. This picture also shows the lever that allows the flywheel to fold up.

This table is so super neat, I am very glad you all encouraged me to get it.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-21-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Omg! Now I'm envious. Lol! I'm curious....were you able to negotiate? No need for details, just a yes or no would satisfy my curiosity.

cathy if it were me, this one is definitely worth having a professional fabricate a top to match. It is just way too nice not to!

Last edited by Cogito; 12-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Ooooooooooooooo man, it looks twice as nice in your photo's. so glad you have it ..

unbelievable how the peddle and flywheel fold up.

This visual keep clicking, I've seen that table in the past ???? it's the legs and the small drawer that keep

coming up. Thinking in the 70's at a auction house. No clue there may have been a sewing machine hidden in there . now seeing it folded up. I bet it was that table or do we call it a cabinet ???

The finish on the wood look great !!!!!!! very Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2014, 04:27 PM

I'll have someone make a table - it will be me and DH. We do as good of work as most professionals anyway - the only difficult part may be finding the right wood. We have a serious selection of woodworking tools - my finish sander is a Festool, because I wanted a nice one.

I'd like to see the underside of one, but I think it may be like my featherweight table, where there are blocks that fit into the machine opening and keep the top from sliding around. It's also a very easy way to do it.

I did not try to negotiate - felt $300 was a fair price for what I was getting. After getting in the car, DH told he he though it was worth $300. Sometimes he thinks I pay too much, but he does leave that up to me.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:44 PM

cathy in that other thread on this, the needle bar photo check that again. look at each corner, it sure looks like holes as if the, with dowels driven in then sanded smooth...... pegs left at the under side and the machine surface has the hole, so peg and holes to locate the finish top piece, should you use oak and a oak dowel, turn the dowel so the grain runs the same direction, they won't show very much. those could also just be counter sunk in to the top. but matching the peg to the hole would be difficult.

I think 3 was a real fair price

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: language
Old 12-21-2014, 05:51 PM

I'm glad to see you got it!.
I thought it was great before I saw how things fold up out of sight on it. That makes it even better!
The wood is quartersawn white oak. If you ask at a decent hardwood supplier , some better lumber yards carry hardwoods too, though generally only a small selection, they can probably order some in if they don't stock it.
Rodney
Old 12-21-2014, 08:35 PM

My table has the holes plugged - can't say if someone plugged the holes or if they were always that way and it's more of a decorative touch. They are not in a location for them to be plugs over screws.

It will be a while before I do anything about a top for it - gotta get the building done first - and wait for warmer weather.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 PM

that needlebar photo I can see nubs or plugs that I would say are centered over the legs, the all 4 corners.

you'll probably use it every day and never want a top , I know I would be stuck on it for awhile. I can't stop pedaling this Brunswick LOLOL.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Beautiful cabinet but the cleverness behind making a working treadle out of the Library table and concealing the parts is brilliant. Can't wait till its completed.

Jon
Old 12-22-2014, 05:05 AM

Very interesting! I wonder if I've ever walked by one of those while looking for sewing machine cabinets?
I am certain that I missed a parlor cabinet at a farm auction by not looking close enough at the "furniture" before discounting the pieces as non-sewing....

CD in Oklahoma