Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
VIKING (Canadian) machine/table - Looking for info >

VIKING (Canadian) machine/table - Looking for info

VIKING (Canadian) machine/table - Looking for info

Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 PM

Default VIKING (Canadian) machine/table - Looking for info

Greeting all!

First post here and looking for some insight from everyone here. I ddi some searching all day today and came up pretty empty handed other than the fact that this machine is a Viking machine from Canada, and unrelated to the other Huskys. That being said here is the info I have regarding the one I am looking at:

On the machine it says:

VIKING

I.F.S.S. Model #788P
No. 10146
Japan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521296[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]521297[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]521298[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]521299[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]521300[/ATTACH]

Any and all help would be great, as well as any insight to if it is a wise machine to purchase, its capabilities, etc.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2015-06-01-8.44.13-pm.png   screen-shot-2015-06-01-8.44.18-pm.png   screen-shot-2015-06-01-8.44.41-pm.png   01515_9uowl8tztuk_600x450.jpg   00w0w_gbfuohyfwl9_600x450.jpg  

Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 AM

It's just a Japanese zigzag machine with some built in stitches. This particular version is made with assorted names on the front. I think the stitch dial looks kind of neat.

I do not see a LMR lever, so it's likely this is a left homing machine - meaning the needle will be in the far left position for straight stitching. Most people find this a bit of a deterrent - and makes it difficult if you want to do piecing for quilts - very hard to get a nice 1/4" seam.

With the built in cam, you'd need to check it carefully if it's plastic - for wear and cracks.

If I was looking for a sewing machine to use, I'd pass on this one. I'd look for one that has the ability to sew straight with the needle to the left, center and right positions. I'd personally prefer one with cams, but then you have to make sure you get the cams with it, some will not even zigzag without a cam in there. However if it's got a good quality durable cam stack, that is not a detractor.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 AM

Thank you some much for your insight, much appreciated. Yea it is a cool looking machine! Probably going to pass on it for now, continue my hunt and worst case come back to it if need be.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
It's just a Japanese zigzag machine with some built in stitches. This particular version is made with assorted names on the front. I think the stitch dial looks kind of neat.

I do not see a LMR lever, so it's likely this is a left homing machine - meaning the needle will be in the far left position for straight stitching. Most people find this a bit of a deterrent - and makes it difficult if you want to do piecing for quilts - very hard to get a nice 1/4" seam.

With the built in cam, you'd need to check it carefully if it's plastic - for wear and cracks.

If I was looking for a sewing machine to use, I'd pass on this one. I'd look for one that has the ability to sew straight with the needle to the left, center and right positions. I'd personally prefer one with cams, but then you have to make sure you get the cams with it, some will not even zigzag without a cam in there. However if it's got a good quality durable cam stack, that is not a detractor.