Vintage, But Not a Machine.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sarabela View Post
Some of them may be scanned! A quick Google search of "Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences" brings up an online library. Since I'm on my phone I can't investigate too much but it appears that some of them are there and viewable.
Yes, it's here but only the cook books. I'm sure the others will appear when someone gets around to them.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM

She sounds like she was a great lady and what a great gift! The books are sewing related. I think they belong here. Thank you for sharing them!
Rodney
Old 11-11-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
She sounds like she was a great lady and what a great gift! The books are sewing related. I think they belong here. Thank you for sharing them!
Rodney
I wouldn't expect Sarabela to scan them though. That would be a huge job, since there are so many of them.
The effort is likely the only reason it hasn't been done (not copyright issues) if the cook books by the same author are already in the public domain. There's at least one government organisation that just archives books like this. I'm now wondering if you can loan them a set of books for them to process. The down side would be that you wouldn't have your books until they get around to doing the job.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:21 AM

You should type up the old lady' story, and add it into the books somehow. That way the memory of the books will be preserved for whoever gets it after you. Thanks for sharing her story with us!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
You should type up the old lady' story, and add it into the books somehow. That way the memory of the books will be preserved for whoever gets it after you. Thanks for sharing her story with us!
That's a great idea! She did sign one of the books for me before she died.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:09 PM

She really was an amazing woman. There were times when others were offended by her, she had no filter and would "tell it like it was" but I adored her and valued her opinion on many things. One of the things she taught me to make was "Storybook Pillows" as she called them. They were small pillows for children with a zippered and an open pocket for kids to keep a book and other things in. I made them for my boys when they were about 3 yrs old and they still use them 5 years later.
Sarabela,

My wife is drooling over those books. As a long time seamstress she collects and uses sewing books.

As for the "Storybook Pillows" I have one similar to it from when I was around 5 or so. That's a lot of summers ago, and I still have it. It's a pajama case that came with a little stuffed dog. The dog and the case has a matching snap on it to hold them together. Your pillow reminded me of it.

Strange what we keep from our childhood.

Joe
Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM

What a great gift to you. Her legacy and history.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 PM

I know you treasure her books. Sounds like during her life way back then as a single parent and dealing with people who may have thought they were above her, she learned to survive and tell it like it was! It's too bad a lot of women today did not hear her story of vision, courage, and determination!!! What a role model...

She really was an amazing woman. There were times when others were offended by her, she had no filter and would "tell it like it was" but I adored her and valued her opinion on many things. One of the things she taught me to make was "Storybook Pillows" as she called them. They were small pillows for children with a zippered and an open pocket for kids to keep a book and other things in. I made them for my boys when they were about 3 yrs old and they still use them 5 years later.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 AM

What a wonderful gift you have (in the books so dearly love). And what a wonderful women you had the gift of knowing. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I knew a lovely lady like that. She passed away this last May! She sewed everything on treadles. She raised 2 sons and a daughter who appreciated everything she did. She made all her family's clothes. Her husband was a cobbler. He died at 80 years old. He had just finished making his sons new pairs of shoes. They were attorneys and also the daughter. Her daughter proudly keeps her wedding dress made by her mother, refurbished from her own wedding (self made) dress displayed in her home.