Vintage Kenmore Accessories

Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 AM

Default Vintage Kenmore Accessories

I have looked everywhere and can't find the answer to my question. Will the accessories (meaning cams, feet, bobbins, needles, and buttonhole attchment) of the Kenmore 17741 work in the Kenmore 1756? Thanks so much for your help.

Ladibug
Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM

The Kenmore 1756 is a Low Shank machine, I am not sure about the 1774? Most of the Kenmore models 158. are Super High Shank machines. Do you know if the 1774 is a low shank machine or Super High Shank?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM

Judging by the pictures of the accessories of both machines at searspartsdirect.com:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...2356-00008.png
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_pn...1871-00008.png

The buttonhole attachment might interchange, but it is hard to tell if the cams will, as the pictorial representation isn't very good.

The feet won't interchange, as they are different shank height(The feet on the 1756 appear to be high or super high shank). The bobbins and needles will work with both machines.

I have come across Kenmore machines with the same first four digits of the model number, but with a 0,1, or 2 at the end and the shank height of the feet are different.

Last edited by mlmack; 07-21-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM

Well I thought that I had watched a youtube video on the both of them and thought they would interchange..I will have to watch it again. I can get a 1756 but it has nothing with it at all.I can also get a 17741 that has everything with it. It sure would save me a lot of money if even just the cams would swap out. I have been looking for so long to find something that all my info is running together. I have to get something soon as I don't have a decent machine to sew on, well not one that will sew through the seam on jeans. Thank you so very much for answering. It is so hard to find info. I tried going to sears site but I couldn't manage to read it right for some reason. Thanks so very very much. Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM

I don't think so. I have 4 158 machines and ALL are low shank, center homing machines. There are adaptors for high shank (not sure about super high shank) but left homing feet are much more difficult to find. I never buy those machines.
Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
The Kenmore 1756 is a Low Shank machine, I am not sure about the 1774? Most of the Kenmore models 158. are Super High Shank machines. Do you know if the 1774 is a low shank machine or Super High Shank?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 AM

I believe the High/low shank is more age based than model. I was only looking a specific features (like stretch or "variegated" -the ability to make a stich that moves forward and backward along with side to side) and all the machines that did that were super high shank. All those I looked at that were low shank were much earlier models. So I came away with the "feeling" that most of the 158 group were super high shank.

I do know that there are at least three different attachment sets, and all machines take the single row cams. Only the newer with the variegated ability can use the double row cams (these go both side to side AND forward/backwards)

it "sort of" seems like the models ran in series - so one year Sears would offer a 15XX, 17XX and 18XX machines, and the next year they'd have an updated model, and it would be a 15XY, 17XY and 18XY machines. So having two machines that both start with "17" may actually be significantly different because they are several years apart.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM

With tools (at least) the first 3 digits like "158" denote the supplier/manufacturer of the item. The rest of the model# after the dot would define the specific features of the item. I would expect the same sort of system on the sewing machines. The problem is that as already pointed out one digit off can mean anything from different trim or accessories on basically the same machine to a whole different machine where nothing interchanges.
Rodney
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 AM

I pulled this thread up in a Google search trying to also find out if my Sears Kenmore Model 158.17741 is a "Super High Shank" machine. I thought I'd come back and post this very helpful website that shows you how to measure your machine. I can confirm that my model is a Low Shank machine. If you scroll down below the measuring diagram, the website alphabetically lists all sewing machine manufacturers with all their model numbers for their shank size...

http://www.nancysnotions.com/text/co...otlisting.html

I joined this Board as well, since I plan make my first quilt very soon. Also, I've been trying to cheaply find a new (just the shank portion) of a new foot for my machine. There is a tiny piece of very thin medal on the bottom of the shank that holds the feet attachments on the shank piece and it is held on the shank with a very fine tiny little screw. That's the piece I need. If anyone can help me find a new piece, please let me know. That tiny little piece of metal on my shank bottom (the little piece of dark metal with the little screw) has snapped off on my shank -- so I can't snap the feet onto it anymore. Thanks, if anyone can point me in the right direction to find a replacement low shank... or just the little piece of black metal that has snapped off on my shank. I could just unscrew the broken piece and replace with a new piece if there is a way to find just that part?

Last edited by Mary-Ann; 02-26-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Hi Mary-Ann. Welcome to the board.

If I'm reading your post correctly, then I think you are looking for a snap-on adaptor if your feet are snap-on feet. You can find one here:

http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Low-...-SCF5011-1.htm

Any low shank feet should fit your machine. Good luck on your first quilt. Are you planning to free motion quilt it on your machine? If so (and if you don't already have one), you can also get a free motion foot from that same site. There are several versions offered. Look for ones labeled "darning" or "free motion embroidery."

You should find a wealth of information on the main board as you start your project and lots of people willing to help you.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your reply, NapaJohn

For now, I've ordered a new low shank foot from this website,
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/sew...sser-feet.aspx
and they also steered me to that same snap-on adaptor, and they also sell it with a full set of snap-on feet. It isn't the piece I'm looking for though, as I don't think my current loose feet would work as far as snapping onto that device.

My broken piece is a Sears Clamping Shank, Part #37170, and they no longer sell it.

My search will continue, though. I've seen the piece I need sold on Ebay, but it's always been part of a bigger accessory set of Cams, buttonhole attachments, etc. -- all the things I already have, and I didn't want to spend what the collections were being offered for. I'll keep watching Ebay and cross my fingers that I come across one at a reasonable asking price there.

Thanks again for the kind response!

Mary Ann

Last edited by Mary-Ann; 02-27-2015 at 01:33 PM.