Vintage Longarms

Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 PM

wow those machines are cool rosefrench
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM

The last pic of the singers looks like a nice long arm, ladies I think that would be sooo much fun to play with,don't you?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Banned

my mom had one of those, but have no clue what she did with it. she said I could have it when they found it :? God bless. Penny
Old 05-20-2010, 10:41 AM

Billy, I posted this in the shop thread but perhaps it belongs here.

It is a Singer Industrial Electric Sewing Machine 206K43. The owner just replied with this: "The machine needs work. The motor runs, but the clutch needs repair. This is not a machine to be used for quilting. It is for upholstry, canvas and drapery extra heavy duty. It is about 50 to 60 years old."

Is he correct or could I use it for longarming? And, how hard would it be to repair the clutch? What should I offer if it is something I can use as a long arm? He is asking $50. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-70340.bmp   attachment-70341.bmp  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Billy, I posted this in the shop thread but perhaps it belongs here.

It is a Singer Industrial Electric Sewing Machine 206K43. The owner just replied with this: "The machine needs work. The motor runs, but the clutch needs repair. This is not a machine to be used for quilting. It is for upholstry, canvas and drapery extra heavy duty. It is about 50 to 60 years old."

Is he correct or could I use it for longarming? And, how hard would it be to repair the clutch? What should I offer if it is something I can use as a long arm? He is asking $50. Thanks.
He is right because of the oil bath oiling system. The machines have a tendency to leak and no need in getting that on the quilt if you do not need to. I would go with a 31-15 because its just a Model 15 on some serious steroids. But it would be a good machine if you want to collect an industrial model to say you have one.

Billy
Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks Billy. Ummm... don't think I am into collecting an industrial to say I have one. I actually want something that is less expensive than the going longarms prices for quilting. I will just have to keep looking.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks Billy. Ummm... don't think I am into collecting an industrial to say I have one. I actually want something that is less expensive than the going longarms prices for quilting. I will just have to keep looking.
Here is a 31-15 that looks great on Ebay. Maybe it could work for you. I live too far away from Wisconsin--it would cost an arm and a leg to ship!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Not sure of the model and it looks electric industrial. Their date is probably off. Would this one work?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/atq/1749655247.html
Old 05-20-2010, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by merryhare
Here is a 31-15 that looks great on Ebay. Maybe it could work for you. I live too far away from Wisconsin--it would cost an arm and a leg to ship!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
The machine looks great! But, I live about 1800 miles from it

:shock: :shock: I would faint at the shipping charge alone.

At one time in my life many different types of commercial machines were available to me from my great Aunt who owned a wedding gown factory. At the time I didn't have the means of $$$ or transportation to get them. I am sure there were many vintage and/or antique machines availabe. Ouch. :-D
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Banned

Well, this is a new area of sewing machines for me to look into...Didnt know they had long arm machines this old. What fun it would be to have one of these.
Billi you are truly an enabler...LOL

also an inspiration. I love my Long Arm, but I really want to learn to piece on one of these treadles I have around here.